Author Topic: HDRI environment map not visible directly  (Read 14634 times)

2016-11-28, 22:29:45

The Syndicate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a scene that will not render the direct of my HDRI map. I can see the map in reflections / refractions. The map does not appear in the beauty pass of the Corona frame buffer or in any file format that I export.

I opened a different scene and don't seem to have the same issue. I assume there must be a difference in environment / exposure / camera settings between the two scenes but I can't pinpoint what it might be. Any one have any ideas?

I have tried both the Max environment slot and the Corona environment slot. I am using Corona 1.5 (hotfix 2) and 3ds max 2017. I did recently update 3ds max and did not have the problem prior.

Edit: Other things to note...I have played with the exposure and it isn't a matter of the HDRI map being too dark. I have also tried overriding the "Direct visibility ovverride" in Environmental overrides just to see if I could get anything to show up with no success. I can see the map in my viewport when I use the Max environment settings and display the map as the background. 

Edit 2: I have also tried different HDRI files. I have successfully rendered in this scene with the one I had in use. Again, this was prior to updating max and also prior to updating Corona to 1.5 (I believe). Surely before hotfix 2.

Edit 3: Map does not appear in my Direct or RawComponent render elements.

Edit 4: The HDRI map appears when I use Scanline Renderer. I have tried using a CoronaBitmap instead but that doesn't appear either.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-28, 23:26:28 by The Syndicate »

2016-11-28, 23:03:17
Reply #1

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Try and increase the output. When I use sun and sky with an HDRI as an environment override the exposure settings is so low the hdri is barely visible. I have to crank it up to 50-60 sometime to match the exposure

2016-11-28, 23:25:21
Reply #2

The Syndicate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have tried increasing the exposure, but the background is simply black. I do not have a CoronaSun turned on - the scene is at dusk so the HDRI and some scene lights were providing my illumination.

2016-11-28, 23:30:45
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you right click on that black background in VFB, what numbers do you see? Is it all zeros or any other numbers?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-11-28, 23:35:21
Reply #4

The Syndicate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Welp...3ds max crashed while I was attempting to copy the objects into a new scene. After restarting, my map has decided to appear. I guess it was just hungover from Thanksgiving...thank you for the help!

2016-11-30, 14:56:54
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The best solution would be simply sending us the scene. If you cannot share it (e.g. the hdri is not free), you could send it to our support here https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-12-16, 16:47:15
Reply #6

JEK5019

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just answering this since there was never a final resolve.

i just had this issue myself - i switched to the default scanline render - did a quick render - then switched back to corona - restarted interactive render and voila! hdri background was back :)

2020-10-09, 08:33:59
Reply #7

Tawhid

• Users
    • View Profile
Agreed with JEK5019, my environment was rendering black and the only solution was to revert back to default scan-line renderer and then to corona render , that seems to have solved the problem.