Author Topic: [ask] Correct workflow in Corona using HDRI  (Read 44541 times)

2013-06-04, 08:37:22

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I just wanna know, what is the correct workflow in Corona while using HDRI for it's lightsource?

Usually what I do is: assign HDR in environment slot, tes render, adjust the exposure & highlight in post tab then add sun and adjust its multiplier to match the light before.
Any suggestion is most welcome, thanks before.

ps. sorry for my english

2013-06-04, 08:53:55
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess there's nothing special there. But if you also have vray, you can use also vrayhdri map, as it is supported by corona, to have some more control over hdri map if you need to adjust gamma and exposure of hdri itself...

Also coronaportal material on planes covering windows might speed things up if you're using hdri to light interior (just remember to keep as few portals as possible and they should be ideally just single polygon planes... I think..)

2013-06-04, 09:14:32
Reply #2

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Lacilaci, thank you for your reply. Currently I'm doing lots of exterior render (which the result I'm not really proud of :( ).
I just feel that my light not "real" enough, maybe I just post the raw render here and ask for suggestion also :D

2013-06-04, 11:26:45
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
there is really no way you could screw up HDRI rendering (i mean incorrect shadows, intensity, gi ...)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-06-04, 14:00:57
Reply #4

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Lacilaci & Keymaster: this is my raw render using HDR and corona sun. As you can see, its kinda dull.

Maybe you can give some suggestion here. I'm kinda stuck here T.T

2013-06-04, 14:12:45
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

2013-06-04, 14:20:32
Reply #6

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why would you use corona sun when it's an HDRI?

umm to achieve the strong shadow. Did I do something wrong here?

2013-06-04, 14:26:05
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It looks like the sky is uniform so there are no visible shadows or shading. Maybe it's because of the HDRI you're using. Can you show it? If you want to keep it, try changing contrast between the HDR skylight and sun, for example use lower intensity of HDR and stronger sun.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-06-04, 14:27:03
Reply #8

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks like your hdri is lighting your scene almost equally from all sides, I guess you could achieve the same lighting using a single color as environment lighting..

As rawa said try to avoid sun, instead use photoshop or if you have vray then vrayhdri and play with gamma and exposure settings for hdri itself to get more contrast. This will give you hard shadows and some variations in lighting...

If it fails, try different hdri or you might also try corona sky + sun...

2013-06-04, 14:30:52
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
@Lacilaci & Keymaster: this is my raw render using HDR and corona sun. As you can see, its kinda dull.

You just have to tweak the input image itself, it is virtually impossible to get anything else than the single correct unbiased result from Corona in this situation
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-06-04, 15:07:47
Reply #10

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks like the sky is uniform so there are no visible shadows or shading. Maybe it's because of the HDRI you're using. Can you show it? If you want to keep it, try changing contrast between the HDR skylight and sun, for example use lower intensity of HDR and stronger sun.

Here it is the jpg version of the HDR that I used

It looks like your hdri is lighting your scene almost equally from all sides, I guess you could achieve the same lighting using a single color as environment lighting..

As rawa said try to avoid sun, instead use photoshop or if you have vray then vrayhdri and play with gamma and exposure settings for hdri itself to get more contrast. This will give you hard shadows and some variations in lighting...

If it fails, try different hdri or you might also try corona sky + sun...

You just have to tweak the input image itself, it is virtually impossible to get anything else than the single correct unbiased result from Corona in this situation

hmmm its looks like I need to tweak within the HDR image itself. I'll give vrayhdri a shot :), looks like it's got more setting.

Thank you very much for everyone respond here :D

2013-06-04, 15:14:26
Reply #11

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If it's HDRI, then it means data about environment lighting situation is already there, so if you want your lighting look as it was intended by the creator of the Map, then do not mix it up with anything else. Corona can sample HDRI maps well, so if there is a strong sun spot on your HDRI map, you will get those nice crisp shadows.

When opening HDR files, always make sure you set them to 32bit and def. exposure when opening.

2013-06-05, 03:49:22
Reply #12

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If it's HDRI, then it means data about environment lighting situation is already there, so if you want your lighting look as it was intended by the creator of the Map, then do not mix it up with anything else. Corona can sample HDRI maps well, so if there is a strong sun spot on your HDRI map, you will get those nice crisp shadows.

When opening HDR files, always make sure you set them to 32bit and def. exposure when opening.

Hi thanks for the respond, Rawa. I will experimenting again with HDR light (without sun this time ;)).
I will post the result again here.

Thank you very much

2013-06-09, 09:23:12
Reply #13

jrcenator

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hiya, this is my updated result. I changed the HDR file, remove the sun and still without postpro.
I also included my render without material so only the raw light is visible.
Any comment and suggestion is much appreciated

2013-06-10, 08:26:49
Reply #14

3DLENik

• Users
    • View Profile
Here render using HDRi quickly to the test. In a scene no lights at all.
And screenshots settings hdri. Sometimes setting flies in the bitmap itself.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-10, 08:30:01 by 3DLENik »