Author Topic: Drop in performance with the last 3 daily builds  (Read 20319 times)

2015-09-08, 10:09:12
Reply #15

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
ok, this looks definitely like a bug

But I can't find any logical explanation. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

2015-09-08, 12:09:51
Reply #16

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I am starting to get to the conclusion that Corona doesn't like Xref files.

If I Xref a scene the scene parsing and geometry gets really high (over 4 minutes). However, if I merge the scene the Geometry takes a little bit longer (1min or so), but the render starts really fast.

The problem I have is that this exterior scene is massive and have loads of trees and other vegetation.

The results from the experience I did:

Scene with no Xref
Scene Parsing  - 3 seconds
Geometry - 7 seconds

Scene with a Xref
Scene Parsing - 4 seconds
Geometry - 3:57 minutes

Scene with the merged Xref
Scene Parsing: 3 seconds
Geometry - 1:43

2015-09-08, 17:27:37
Reply #17

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I am working on another scene and I noticed the same behaviour.

It is a simple scene with 7350 scatter elements (grass) and maybe 10 trees. I start the render it takes 2 minutes to Scene Parsing and 3 minutes to Geometry. I stop the render and re-render again. The Scene Parsing drops to 25 seconds and the Geometry to 1 minute.

What bothers me is not even the Scene parsing and the Geometry time. The problem is that the Ray/s total and Ray/s actual are very low which makes the render taking ages.

Ondra, do you want this scene as well?

2015-09-08, 18:01:45
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, it couldnt hurt to have more samples ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-09-08, 18:13:02
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
CiroC: it renders fine here... it may be simple memory exhaustion... how is your system memory during rendering?

BTW: we are implementing a Corona warning that will pop out once you start running out of memory.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-09-08, 18:18:03
Reply #20

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
also it seems camera is squished flat in the scene you uploaded... do you also see it?

2015-09-08, 18:44:33
Reply #21

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We have similar issues and also disapearing parts of proxys, also if you hit render it says 22 hours and if you stop and hit again render it says 255 hour and for the proxy only it took 30 min for 6 passes at 2800 pixels wide, here an example. Did the test with and no forest, same results, testet on machines with 64 gigs of ram and 32, i7 and dual xeon and sinlge xeon, same results.

2015-09-08, 20:12:57
Reply #22

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
CiroC: it renders fine here... it may be simple memory exhaustion... how is your system memory during rendering?

BTW: we are implementing a Corona warning that will pop out once you start running out of memory.

also it seems camera is squished flat in the scene you uploaded... do you also see it?

Thanks Ondra for the feedback.
I am attaching a screenshot of the memory used during the render (it is using 14.2GB from 16GB). What is strange is that the CPU is only between 1% and 4%. Does it sound right?

Yes the camera is weird because we are trying to encompass a big area. But if I am not wrong is something possible with a tilt lens. :D

I am going to pack the other scene and upload it.

2015-09-08, 20:41:01
Reply #23

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hi Ondra.

I uploaded another file called Civils. This one doesn't take too long to render, but it is same thing I mentioned. The Scene Parsing and Geometry take something around 5 or 7 minutes, but if you stop and press render again, the Scene Parsing and Geometry goes back to 1 or 2 minutes.

Plus, I tried to render a simple a scene I can see the CPU going to 90%. When this "issue" happens the CPU doesn't go higher than 6%.

2015-09-08, 20:42:25
Reply #24

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
We have similar issues and also disapearing parts of proxys, also if you hit render it says 22 hours and if you stop and hit again render it says 255 hour and for the proxy only it took 30 min for 6 passes at 2800 pixels wide, here an example. Did the test with and no forest, same results, testet on machines with 64 gigs of ram and 32, i7 and dual xeon and sinlge xeon, same results.

I use loads of proxies. Could it be a problem with that? Usually, I use a combination of scatter and proxies.

I am going to try and convert the scatter objects into Max Geomtry and see if there is any change on speed.

2015-09-09, 11:22:17
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks Ondra for the feedback.
I am attaching a screenshot of the memory used during the render (it is using 14.2GB from 16GB). What is strange is that the CPU is only between 1% and 4%. Does it sound right?

Yes the camera is weird because we are trying to encompass a big area. But if I am not wrong is something possible with a tilt lens. :D

I am going to pack the other scene and upload it.

ok, this definitely looks like memory exhaustion. With fewer objects the scene should render fine. I will looka t the other one though

2015-09-09, 12:49:49
Reply #26

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

2015-09-09, 18:11:34
Reply #27

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hi Ondra,

One thing related with this issue, is that when I press the Stop or Cancel button Corona stills carry on calculating the Scene Parsing or the Geometry, which in this situation can take 10 minutes. Is that a bug?

2015-09-09, 18:14:31
Reply #28

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
that is probably also because you are out of memory and your system is swapping everything

2015-09-09, 18:26:33
Reply #29

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra, we check on every machine and the cpu usage its arround 2 or 5 %, only the dual xeons are using 99 to 100%, it doesnt matter if its a tree or a bunch of them, its like its trying to render only with ram, the other thing its that the proxys created with this daily version are unreadable with 1.21 and those proxys are missing some elements ramdomly when render (daily not 1.21).