Author Topic: Corona IES light noise  (Read 6394 times)

2015-08-11, 13:58:48

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Not really sure if this is should go in bug reporting, but I've noticed a couple weird things occurring when using IES profiles within a corona light.

First, a sealed box with single corona IES light generates lots of direct light noise when an HDRI is added to the corona environment light slot. How is this possible, surely it shouldn't be going through walls? The first attached pic below is 10 passes, no hdri on the left half.

Secondly, in a different scene, multiple Photometric IES lights generate very little direct light noise, but multiple Corona IES lights create lots of it, to the point where 200+ passes doesn't clean up the noise. The first 2 pics are Photometric and Corona at 32GIvAA with 2LSM the 3rd is Corona at 16GIvAA/6LSM (suited to clean up the extra direct noise being thrown out).

Sphere vs disk on the corona IES didnt make enough of a difference in my opinion. The photometric is just a point, soft shadows option is off.

What is going on here? Anyone run into this before?

2015-08-11, 15:15:37
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
even though the environment map does not contribute to the image, there is no way of knowing that unless you explicitly sample it. So the rendering gets more noisy.

second scene: it is simple - photometric IES lights are fake (they are point lights, not area lights), so they can be faster in some scenes
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-08-11, 15:22:18
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
First, a sealed box with single corona IES light generates lots of direct light noise when an HDRI is added to the corona environment light slot. How is this possible, surely it shouldn't be going through walls? The first attached pic below is 10 passes, no hdri on the left half.
This definitely shouldn't be happening but these "hot pixels" or light leaks are a known problem and they will be probably fixed in near future.

Secondly, in a different scene, multiple Photometric IES lights generate very little direct light noise, but multiple Corona IES lights create lots of it, to the point where 200+ passes doesn't clean up the noise. The first 2 pics are Photometric and Corona at 32GIvAA with 2LSM the 3rd is Corona at 16GIvAA/6LSM (suited to clean up the extra direct noise being thrown out).
This is (probably) expected, and as you did, increasing LSM should help in such cases.

Sphere vs disk on the corona IES didnt make enough of a difference in my opinion. The photometric is just a point, soft shadows option is off.
I do not understand this one. Can you explain?
« Last Edit: 2015-08-11, 15:30:31 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-11, 15:46:46
Reply #3

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Ok that makes sense re. the evironment map Ondra. The photometrics in my case were much slower.

Sorry Maru, what I was trying to say is that I had come across some examples on the forums where disk versions of IES light were throwing out significantly more noise compared to the sphere option. From the tests I did the disc had more noise than the sphere but not enough that I felt sphere's were a solution to the problem.

I guess its just finding a balance, mixing corona light and photometrics seem like a bad idea as photometrics in my case moved a lot of noise to the indirect pass, where as indirect noise cleans up very quickly for me with corona lights, so its hard to tweak the settings one way or the other.

I'll keep tweaking/testing and post a final result later.

2015-08-12, 12:43:00
Reply #4

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
GIvAA of 20 and LSM of 8 seems to be the sweet spot for me, still needs close to 300 passes to clean up the noise though.

2015-08-12, 12:50:47
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So if you want to keep the same quality, but lower the amount of passes (=you do not need that much AA), you can simply increase GIvsAA further.

2015-08-12, 12:56:36
Reply #6

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Ok, I just noticed that since my indirect noise was cleaning up faster than direct, I lowered the GI. Is this the right way to go about it?

2015-08-12, 13:32:36
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok, I just noticed that since my indirect noise was cleaning up faster than direct, I lowered the GI. Is this the right way to go about it?
Nope. You will get exactly the same ratio. :)

GI quality = GIvsAA
direct quality = GIvsAA*LSM

So if you change GIvsAA only, you are also changing LSM proportionally.

2015-08-12, 13:42:48
Reply #8

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Yeah sorry, should've mentioned I was raising LSM as well.

I've gone with  GIvAA of 32, LSM of 8 and 175 passes and have a similar result as previously, but also shaved about 10% of the render time. So success in the end!

2015-08-12, 16:48:51
Reply #9

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Yeah sorry, should've mentioned I was raising LSM as well.

I've gone with  GIvAA of 32, LSM of 8 and 175 passes and have a similar result as previously, but also shaved about 10% of the render time. So success in the end!

Those are my typical settings when using IES for final renders.