Author Topic: Refraction for vegetable  (Read 4101 times)

2015-04-03, 08:42:09

Seabass

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys! Do you use refraction for leaves of trees and grass? or translucency only...
refraction give more realistic, but use more RAM.
Thanks.

2015-04-03, 09:01:02
Reply #1

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure this is "the " way to do it, but with plants I usually copy the diffuse map to the translucency map set it at about 0.2 -0.35 depending on the map.
Sometimes I'l ad a light green color to reflection.

I don't do a lot of close ups, hardly any clients asks me to make an image of a chair leg or something, and over distance it looks fine.
Again this is just me tho, not claiming its the correct way to go about it.

2015-04-03, 09:41:57
Reply #2

Seabass

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Problem is that..when we look at the tree and the sun is in front of us, leaves looks good(pic.1).
But when we look at the tree and the sun is behind us, leaves looks very unrealistic!!!(pic.2)
 And i don't know how can I fix it?

2015-04-03, 11:53:40
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
no, NEVER use refraction for leaves
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-04-03, 15:07:24
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-04-03, 19:16:58
Reply #5

Seabass

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah... I was reading this.. and making the same. I attached picture shader settings.

2015-04-04, 10:23:32
Reply #6

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ondra, why NEVER?

I face the same problem, I don't achieve a very good shader for plants and trees, they end up feeling like plastic plants, the only way I found to make it good was using refraction and a very low glossiness.

Any more help regarding this will be welcom, I'll try to post some pictures from my own shaders/work when I gather time.

Cheers!

2015-04-04, 21:34:16
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
juang3d: there is a lot of possible configuration options, and it seems you just randomly found one with refraction that worked. But you should be able to also find one with translucency.

And generally, screwing up refraction is much easier, and people always want  definitive rules... so the rule is to never use refraction ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-04-05, 11:03:48
Reply #8

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hahaha ok, good though, understood!

Refraction...NEVER!

Cheers.