Author Topic: House in the wood  (Read 4530 times)

2015-01-17, 21:48:03

Dmitriy Yemelianenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One more personal project. Looks pretty dark, don't know, the original idea was light and lite, but somehow, I tried another way and let it go:) Hope you will like it.
Seems like I need to watch some tutorials, cause all latest projects look pretty much the same. Maybe some UV mapping or post-production. As always, any advices or critique, even the hardest:) are welcome.
I'm trying to pay attention to all your words, so there is no to much post, the wood is less reflective and camera angles are not to wide, but I'm still not happy with the result, need more attention for details.

2015-01-19, 12:08:30
Reply #1

Snikon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
veri nice !

2015-01-19, 21:29:08
Reply #2

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hi!

What was the scene lighting ?

If you get 32 exr, than you have a really good chance the take back the light intensity in Camera Raw Filter...
And try to equalize the light intenzity with proper f-number and shutter speed.

Any way, I like the floor texture !
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2015-01-20, 10:44:13
Reply #3

Dmitriy Yemelianenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The scene light is Peter Guthrie's HDRI and Corona light (sphere) in the lamp. Never tried 32 exr, always saved in TIFF 16bit. :)
Are there any advantages with exr? sorry for such amateurish question.
I used default camera settings, and corona's post processing.
Thank you.

2015-01-20, 11:17:24
Reply #4

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Well,

I think here is the time to start learning hows 32 bit working. There is the point is you have a really good chance increase or decrease lights and shadows...colors...almost full control.  When you save out just do it in 32 float .exr or .hdr , after controling the white point and lights and color and others in Camera Raw Filter or other. And if you need 16bit tif, just change it for 16bit and save out in .tif.

So easy, so simple.

And here is a really usefull ideas of my favorite artist, Bertrand Benoit...

http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2015/01/07/the-photographic-look/

And another thing, just check some videos about the RAW and the raw filter. Maybe there in the youtube or on the cgpeers... ;)

Learn about the interior lighting, 3 point or more lighting setups. Use softboxes, if you need . The Image Base Lighting is the way, but somethimes is not enought I feel...Here is the point, when you make an render and you thinking about the composition...just thinking about the picture what do you want to get it. Don't thinking in the 3D space, what light you have it. Do you mean ?
So just think abouth the camera and hows landing the light in the cam. Keep your mind, where is the windows and if you feel, you need more light and the bouncing is simple not enought...just make an light rig with softboxes...or make more bounce light. Just like the interior photographers...Well this is one way...If you want to use only HDR, than just use it, but tweeking the cam, not the light. Always the best to keep the light intensity in real value and tweek the cam's setup...

For the start just use the next table for the proper equalized f-stop and shutter speed settings in attachments...This is good starting point.

Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2015-01-20, 12:23:59
Reply #5

Dmitriy Yemelianenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So detailed reply, thank you very much.
Seems like a lot of things to learn.
I guess, I should create WIP theme, and to try some stuff, maybe on a less complex scenes, so I could concentrate  on some smaller details, try lightning, shading and post.
I really appreciate your help, thank you.

2015-01-22, 18:23:15
Reply #6

PhilippeCV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like your choice of lighting and presentation, its cool. I find that the window shot is a bit too dark though.