Author Topic: SSS help needed!  (Read 2266 times)

2014-12-21, 14:30:21

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

i need some help with SSS. Can anybody give me some advice? I don't understand how to control SSS. It seems that no matter the values for absortion distance and scatter i use, nothing really change. The only settings that works for me is Translucency, but i don't get the subtle SSS effect i need. If anyone had experienced with SSS and can help me out, i'll send him a cookie :D

2014-12-21, 15:57:35
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You need to enable some kind of transparency for SSS to work, same for absorption. I find it unintuitive too but I guess it's still a WIP feature. What I know so far is that for SSS to work, you have to enable some absorption first (change color to other than white and value to other than 0), and then you can change scattering parameters. For me it is easiest to make the material completely transparent first (refraction 1, ior 1, glossiness 1) and then play with SSS parameters. When you are more or less happy with how SSS works, you can change refraction parameters or disable refraction and enable translucency. Refraction + SSS will work like for example fluid that has some kind of tiny particles inside (milk?) and translucency + SSS will work like there is a thin layer of "skin" and tiny particles underneath (grape?).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-01-16, 13:02:29
Reply #2

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you maru for your advice. I did make a few steps forward in understanding SSS in Corona, but i'm not even close to what i need. i think i need to be able to map thickness for this particular situation. Also i think for porous materials like bread, i need to model the exact structure of the stuff, in order to get that organic feeling.

I still need help here, so if anyone has any idea, please :)