Author Topic: CoronaLight with IES Visibility issue  (Read 10410 times)

2014-11-19, 17:17:32

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A CoronaLigth with IES file  shows black (all types sphere rectangle disk cilinder) when Visible directly on and its necessary to unthick "occlude other ligths" or "visible directly" to hide his geometry.
It could be useful in some cases to show the emitting geometry but black?.(that makes no sense).
Visible directly has no use it seems for light with IES?
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-11-19, 18:30:14
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is it visible when you are looking at the light perpendicularly? Maybe it's related with this: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2674.msg19710.html#msg19710
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-11-19, 19:08:25
Reply #2

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not related to directionality issue. The base geometry of a CoronaLight turns black in render time the second you put an IES file to them.
Unless you unthick Visibility tab. (Directionality is 0 by the way).
At least it could be white (or better Textured!)... but black?.

Corona A7.1 by the way.

2014-11-19, 19:50:51
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm. Daily build Oct 14 2014 here. Here is my ies light. Did you try with a different ies file?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-11-19, 20:52:58
Reply #4

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Crap. You where right. Its IES related. Tested on other Ies file and works fine.
Atacched offending IES just for forensics.
Also noted that sometimes not entirely black (check attached). Units related?.

Thanks Maru.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-20, 13:59:27 by borisquezadaa »

2014-12-07, 23:40:28
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
All of this is caused by the same thing - if IES is directional, and you look at it off-direction, it will show black, because no energy is emitted to the camera. Think about it - replace the camera with a wall - it would be black - so why should camera see any light?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-07, 12:01:38
Reply #6

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
just digging this up..

would it be possible to have a checkbox to make the light always visible regardless of where you are looking at the light from?

2016-04-07, 12:22:29
Reply #7

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-04-07, 12:32:58
Reply #8

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
just digging this up..

would it be possible to have a checkbox to make the light always visible regardless of where you are looking at the light from?
Wouldn't make sense, as we are creating fakes in an otherwise physically based renderer.
Incase you didn't know: To achive this effect you put a RayswitcherMTL onto the light and Override Direct, Reflection and refraction slots with a light with 0 directionallity. What you get is a directional light, that you can see from any angle.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-04-08, 11:52:30
Reply #9

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in that case shouldnt an IES light always be invisible (like vray) as this is just going to cause issues.

2016-10-16, 14:56:41
Reply #10

RobH2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just digging this up..

Wouldn't make sense, as we are creating fakes in an otherwise physically based renderer.
Incase you didn't know: To achive this effect you put a RayswitcherMTL onto the light and Override Direct, Reflection and refraction slots with a light with 0 directionallity. What you get is a directional light, that you can see from any angle.
Can you explain how to override the slots with a light? I'm new to Corona and can only see that I can replace them with a map or material. How do you replace the slots with a light?

2016-10-16, 16:07:20
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For starters, this is applicable only to light material, but not to light object. Furthermore, it needs to be tested if working - IIRC Corona has some limitations when pluging LightMtl to RayswitchMtl.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-17, 02:24:51
Reply #12

RobH2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks 'romullus'. I'm hoping 'peterguthrie' is still around with a little explanation about what he meant. I've been playing with it and just can't figure out what he did, especially since the light is an IES.