Author Topic: Self-illumination and CoronaLightMtl  (Read 5440 times)

2014-10-29, 10:35:25

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Dear all,
according to note on self-illumination material feature, it say "don't use this feature as the main light source in your scene, but use coronalightmtl instead".
what is the difference of Self-illumination feature with CoronaLightMtl?
on the creating photorealistic CGI case, when will we do need to use Self-illumination feature instead of CoronaLightMtl?

2014-10-30, 09:56:06
Reply #1

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
sorry for asking a basic question. last week i searched the forum , looked for some discussion about "Self-illumination / CoronaLightMtl" and i didn't find it (unless i missed it).
i'm a rookie, but i need to grow. i believe that this place is a right place to grow.

wait for any response, thanx.

2014-10-30, 10:06:47
Reply #2

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
AFAIK the main difference is the type of sampling, you will get less noise with the light material and more light scattering, and the self illumination is some kind of visual effect, but it is not to be a main light.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

2014-10-30, 10:52:03
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Light Material is for key lighting in your scene. If you have geometry which you know will be main light source in your scene, such as cove lights and such...

Self illumination is just something that glows, like lava, some glowing features on scifi vehicles or creatures, and so on.

If rendering in unbiased mode, both modes, assuming you have same intensity, will converge to the same result. The thing is that for LightMTL, corona sends special rays to sample for light, while with self illum, corona just samples glowing material as any other material. That means it will be slower if it's small and strong light source. BUT if you sample some complex material with those special samples Corona uses for LightMTL, like material with reflections and refractions, then it can become VERY slow.

So you need to make this decision. It's done this way to prevent people from creating super complex materials that are also emitters, which could result in super slow scenes.

Another use case is camera mapping, or any textures that have baked light information. When you have huge skyscrapers in your scene, and they are textured by textures with baked lighting, you do not want those skyscrapers to be light sources in your scene, for every single polygon of this high poly geometry to be specifically sampled by Corona as a light source, but you still want to not alter that baked lighting by some shading information, and you still want this baked lighting to cast proper global illumination into the scene. That's when you use self illumination.

2014-11-01, 03:13:37
Reply #4

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
yes, juang3d now i know what it does. thanx
 thanx very much rawalance. what a very complete explanation. i would be great if those words will be published on corona help page and with the some example preview scene (like vray does).
really happy now with every feature from this magicalrenderer.