Author Topic: Corona 12 Major Memory Leak  (Read 3387 times)

2024-08-26, 19:37:04
Reply #15

Evan Lindsay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been experiencing this same issue with several different max files. Very frustrating since I have to crash max.

Currently on Max 2024 with most recent updates.

2024-08-27, 09:51:41
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I've been experiencing this same issue with several different max files. Very frustrating since I have to crash max.

Currently on Max 2024 with most recent updates.

You now have a support ticket #284095. Please check your mailbox.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-08-30, 21:21:21
Reply #17

HannesN

• Users
    • View Profile
I have similar problems on at least three scenes on two different workstations. All with the same set of 3d max 2024 + Plugins. I'm trying Corona 13 at the moment, but nothing has changed. The bad thing is, that these are all confidential data and can not share a lot about these.

On all three scenes rendering behaves the same:

1. Click on render
2. RAM fills up to the maximum (i have 48GB & 64GB, does not matter)
3. VFB shows up and starts rendering

- Workstation 1 does not have any big problems with it and finishes the job
- Workstation 2 locks completely up and needs a hard reset.

2024-09-06, 05:34:34
Reply #18

ramyhanna

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • tiltpixel.com
For several days I've been troubleshooting a typical file in our production environment, and am running out of RAM memory very quickly.  My PC has 64GB of RAM and I've even tried the "conserve memory" setting, without success.

I'm coming to the suspicion that Corona v12 (hotfix) has a major memory leak issue.

update: it seems turning caustics OFF has fixed the memory leaks.
« Last Edit: 2024-09-06, 22:09:26 by ramyhanna »

2024-09-09, 00:37:30
Reply #19

rpmukta

• Users
    • View Profile
Please , off displacement than render
Try it

2024-09-16, 14:05:48
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For several days I've been troubleshooting a typical file in our production environment, and am running out of RAM memory very quickly.  My PC has 64GB of RAM and I've even tried the "conserve memory" setting, without success.

I'm coming to the suspicion that Corona v12 (hotfix) has a major memory leak issue.

update: it seems turning caustics OFF has fixed the memory leaks.

This is now being handled in support ticket #288380.

2024-09-17, 16:21:18
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi all, out of 7 "memory leak" reports we have received, we were provided with scenes only in 2 of them.
In one case we were not able to reproduce the issue, everything worked fine on our hardware, so it might be system-specific.
In the other one the issue is most likely related to caustics, but we are investigating it.

If you are using caustics in your "memory leak" scenes, please try disabling them and let us know if there is any improvement.

2024-09-20, 10:17:18
Reply #22

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, out of 7 "memory leak" reports we have received, we were provided with scenes only in 2 of them.
In one case we were not able to reproduce the issue, everything worked fine on our hardware, so it might be system-specific.
In the other one the issue is most likely related to caustics, but we are investigating it.

If you are using caustics in your "memory leak" scenes, please try disabling them and let us know if there is any improvement.

Hey Maru

I can't remember if I sent my scene or not, however, I wasn't using caustics.  That said, I haven't experienced the same issue since but ... I've not worked on that many new scenes.  If it happens again I'll be sure to upload a scene.

2024-09-20, 13:54:00
Reply #23

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY for keeping an eye out and uploading a scene should it crop up again!

I think the main point here is the way the thread on the forum reads, it's as if there is the same thing happening to multiple users, but this is not the case. It certainly appears to be a collection of separate issues (based on as much as we can tell, since we didn't get responses or didn't have scenes to investigate). And it may not even be a "memory leak" - e.g. the caustics example seems to be that it takes more memory in Corona 12 than in an earlier version, but this is not the same as a memory leak (which is the longer a piece of software runs, the more and more memory it consumes as it is not being freed correctly once no longer needed).

So, if this thread is one of the things that has put you off upgrading to Corona 12 because it reads like there is a common, universal, actual memory leak (since I have seen several people say they are not upgrading due to Corona 12 having problems, and I can only assume threads like this one is part of that assessment) - do be sure to asses things in the light of the above and not just on the first impression of reading the thread. So far, no actual memory leak has been found, and one issue of caustics apparently taking more memory than in a previous version is being investigated. Hope this helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-09-20, 13:59:01
Reply #24

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, and rather than leave it as "goes without saying" - those who are experiencing any sort of unexpected memory problems, whether apparently a leak or just needing more memory in 12 than in 11 or more memory in Max 2025 than in 2024, do let us know! I am not saying no-one is running into some sort of issue :) Also, when you do report it, please keep in touch with us when we have questions as part of our investigation, and please send in the scene that causes you problems if at all possible. This is what lets us solve any issues that do exist!

2024-09-30, 09:53:42
Reply #25

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, I'm uploading a scene this morning.  It's only happening with one particular camera (V02_B).  Whether it's the same 'memory leak' issue I have no idea but memory shoots up to the point where the PC is unusable.

The scene file is less than 500MB, the assets will add more but it's not a complex scene at all.

I can render other cameras from this scene no problem at all, but this camera seems to giving the same or at least a very similar issue - having said that, it could be a completely different issue, but it's consistent and I can reproduce it every time I render from this camera.

Oddly it works fine with IR, but as soon as I do a production render, the RAM usage shoots right up to the point of crashing.

I keep getting this error window but each time it lists different items under 'heaviest objects'.  And if it does list the same item it's always a random GB value.

Circle015 for example is literally an extruded circle so why is it estimating its using 18+GB.  There are 8 instances of it, so I have no idea why it's only highlighting that one.  It also only has a basic shader on it no high res maps etc.

The Squishmeister Sofa is listed in the screenshot as using 10GB, yesterday it was listed as using 25GB, nothing has changed since.

2024-09-30, 10:13:17
Reply #26

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Request #297121

Although now I'm not sure it is the same issue.  I have a feeling this was a displacement issue.

2024-09-30, 11:47:43
Reply #27

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The issue does really seem to be related to displacement, but we will investigate some more.

2024-09-30, 18:37:41
Reply #28

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just a note
also happened to me on C4D using daily v13 w/o any displacement
seems fine w latest v12 HF2
(did mentioned it on discord)

2024-09-30, 19:16:34
Reply #29

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The question here is still the same - is this actually a memory leak (ie it starts low and then over time it keeps using more and more memory, suggesting something is taking more memory without freeing up memory it is done with), or just excessive memory usage (ie it gets this high almost as soon as the scene starts rendering)? (and can you send in the offending scene via ticket, would be great to have an example on hand we can test with :) https://support.chaos.com/requests/new )