Author Topic: The new VFB: icons  (Read 2604 times)

2024-06-12, 21:38:07

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I prefer icon bars aligned to the left, not centered.

Other than that - let's try ito out and see.

2024-06-26, 13:20:25
Reply #1

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, i also dislike the centered icons.

the whole vfb seems unfinished in design and usage sadly.

text are slightly unsharp,
 opening arrows or click a checkbox is suddenly not instant anymore as in vfb1, it seems slower.
tabs are bad to see(only text, no highlight of active tab etc)
render and ir render button sill not 2 buttons, i hoped that woudl get finally 2 seperate buttons, the one most used is hidden (IR)
the curves window is still not detachable or resizable?
for me feel the zoom factor and channels above the tine mapping settings is also not good for workflow, i

i see no real improvement on it so far, only some things not ok yet, what is the sense of the new vfb beside some "new" graphic"?

2024-06-26, 14:32:59
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It was only going to be the "new graphic", but now it has extra functionality too, the main elements being multiple lightmixes, AB comparison even if images are different sizes or aspect ratios, better management of history, Gain / Gamma / Lift tone mapping. EDIT oh yes and leave bloom and glare to only be calculated at the end of the render, not repeatedly during rendering; plus drag and drop a CXR into the VFB and edit it immediately without a "one pass render to make it active" which reduces reliance on the CIE (and means you can edit any CXR even if the original scene is not what you have loaded).

PS - and there more to come in 13, e.g. reworking the denoising workflow, and more, as now we have QT to build upon after this rewrite, which opens up new possibilities.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-06-26, 18:43:11
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thx for explanation.

guess my expectation was wrong then, i was hoping ti was some like the vray vfb2 (with many new features, masking tools etc)

i hope the old vfb stays for a while hten as option, for me the new is feeling yet a bit too laggy

2024-06-26, 22:02:55
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The old one should stay as an option for a while yet, probably still there in Corona 13, and then after that we'll see. We've always been adverse to the idea of the VFB becoming "Photoshop inside 3ds Max / Cinema 4D", and that doing masking and such complex work is best left to external software dedicated to that purpose, so the V-Ray-like layer editing with masks was never on the cards for Corona 12 :) We'll see where things stand going forward, but I will warn that it would be incredibly unlikely for anything like that to be in Corona 13, which already has its work cut out for it :O For the VFB, the main focus for 13 would be the reworking of the denoising workflows, I'd say (we have yet to all sit down and review our plans for 13 - we're all focused on 12 for now!)

2024-06-27, 08:28:05
Reply #5

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"and that doing masking and such complex work is best left to external software dedicated to that purpose"

i have to disagree here, masking isnt complex and to be abel to do such tuning in the render, as i can do it in vray is a big plus and makes work easier.

we try to do as view as possible in post. and time is money i n end.
so a simple masking as vray has it would be a great time saver and workflow helper. maybe for v13 then.

2024-06-27, 17:43:29
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
"but I will warn that it would be incredibly unlikely for anything like that to be in Corona 13, which already has its work cut out for it :O " just as a reminder not to have hopes for anything like this to appear in 13. If it happens it is very very very likely to be next year at the earliest.

2024-06-27, 18:59:51
Reply #7

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thx for this info.

never thought i would say that, but in meanwhile, i sometimes i really wished Corona and V-ray would merge into one perfect app, combining best of both engines;)

vray for me is too slow and somehow feels outdated, on the other hand it has such nice features like the vfb2, or already near perfect vantage export, vrscene support etc

2024-06-27, 22:39:02
Reply #8

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Not a big fan of the design either. It looks like a programmer (no offense) and not a designer did this. In fact Corona is slowly moving away from the straightforward design render engine, and I find it confusing as to why. Every version seems to feel slower and more bloated. As UE5 becomes used more and more in my world of commercial animation and rendering, I hope speed and ease of use would still be top of mind.

2024-07-10, 20:25:29
Reply #9

ian.novarc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Disappointed with the new VFB. Many not necessary changes... Only good thing is the extra LightMixes.
And I often get this HAND cursor in the VFB (I don't really know what triggers this and the arrow pointer turns to a hand-punch looking cursor) but it is totally annoying..

2024-07-11, 09:05:59
Reply #10

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Not a big fan of the design either. It looks like a programmer (no offense) and not a designer did this. In fact Corona is slowly moving away from the straightforward design render engine, and I find it confusing as to why. Every version seems to feel slower and more bloated. As UE5 becomes used more and more in my world of commercial animation and rendering, I hope speed and ease of use would still be top of mind.

Totally disagree. You can't compare UE5 engine and Corona Render. Either rendering engines are for different purposes. I tried to make some animations with UE5 using Lumen and PT technology inside, but UE5 quality is a step away backward from Corona Render quality. If you watch youtube UE5 tech demo you can see every time forest, videogame with lot of props, but...did you try to render a simple object with UE5 and Lumen? it's a total disaster. Totally fake. You need to fill tour scene with objects, amazing textures, dirty surfaces and more, only for to get a photo-realistic render. But with minimalist scene where you can see how the light works you can see how Lumen is a total fake.

Please don't compare UE with Corona Render, it's a stupid way to understand how rendering engine works
| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2024-07-11, 09:10:24
Reply #11

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Disappointed with the new VFB. Many not necessary changes... Only good thing is the extra LightMixes.
And I often get this HAND cursor in the VFB (I don't really know what triggers this and the arrow pointer turns to a hand-punch looking cursor) but it is totally annoying..

Maybe developers will take a look into it and they will polish it... but believe me, if they used the C4D internal GUI to create a graphic UX maybe they need loooong holidays . Create an UX with Cinema4D SDK is a total pain. We develop plugins for C4D and every time we need to work with the SDK for change some UX elements, we need some medicines 😂
| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2024-07-16, 01:00:46
Reply #12

ian.novarc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And the plot thickens.. No more drag&dropping colors from one lightmix element to another, no more Copy Pasting color values (right click on color box doesn't work anymore).
When the zoom exceeds 100% in the frame buffer and while being in IR mode,  it gets reset to 100% automatically when you decide to change any value in the mat editor...
Let's see what other bugs we ll find. Guys don't you have a testing department or what?