Author Topic: Corona Shadow Catcher for interior  (Read 1273 times)

2024-05-22, 13:20:33
Reply #15

edoardo_explorer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for all you responses.

Fortunately jojorender gave me the correct name of the process "virtual staging" and I found a useful tutorial on youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwU0eF6euM&ab_channel=SoloTraceur).

Apparentely using a Corona light material with the background image applied to a Corona Sky in frontal projection is the solution.
I added a couple of area light to simulate the sun and it's working.
Floor and walls have two SC materials, matte and reflective.

Attached a wip.

2024-05-24, 06:18:42
Reply #16

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link, that room modeling with image projection is pretty cool.
Since you can’t really use a corona sun, it’s still not clear how to recreate direct sun light with a corona “area” light. Is cranking up the directionality the only way? 
Just as example, how would you recreate the light to hit your furniture in the attached image?

2024-05-24, 18:18:06
Reply #17

edoardo_explorer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I made some tests and actually you can use a Corona Sun because it works with a geometry with shadow catcher material.
The problem is just with the sky, and the only solution is to use the Cinema/Corona Light material.

I don't know why!

2024-05-25, 16:30:59
Reply #18

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your test.
I thought the whole point is, that the shadows created by C-sun and or C-sky are not realistic when you build the room, leave an opening for light to enter and apply SC mat to wall floor and ceiling. See attachment. That shadow never changes regardless of what you use.

Just like your first post said, even when you make an “outer shell” with regular material that should just block the sun and/or sky light, it’s ignored and the shadow catcher receives full sun light.

My question is exactly for these “edge cases”, how to correctly light a scene where part of the furniture is in direct sun light and part in diffused bouncy light.
Did you ever get a better answer from the corona team?

2024-05-29, 18:59:33
Reply #19

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Corona team,
What is the right approach to lighting a “interior shadow catcher scene” to mimic direct sunlight entering a room? See above for context…
I was looking around the max forum to maybe find some clues…
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=28846.msg168169#msg168169
Just make a copy of object with ordinal material and change properties to not see in render but cast shadows
This does not work in C4D.

2024-05-29, 20:21:29
Reply #20

edoardo_explorer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your test.
I thought the whole point is, that the shadows created by C-sun and or C-sky are not realistic when you build the room, leave an opening for light to enter and apply SC mat to wall floor and ceiling. See attachment. That shadow never changes regardless of what you use.

Just like your first post said, even when you make an “outer shell” with regular material that should just block the sun and/or sky light, it’s ignored and the shadow catcher receives full sun light.

My question is exactly for these “edge cases”, how to correctly light a scene where part of the furniture is in direct sun light and part in diffused bouncy light.
Did you ever get a better answer from the corona team?

Hi jojorender, yes you're right neither C-sun is realistic, but better than C-sky.
As you said a solution could be to use area lights with directionality.

I showed the yuoutube tutorial to Corona support team and they said that it's actually a clever solution and a technique used in film industry for matte painting creation. 😅

This is the best I have gotten!

2024-06-03, 16:54:38
Reply #21

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks edoardo_explorer,
changing the corona light "directionality" to imitate sun light doesn't really work for me. Doesn’t look realistic at all.

Maru, is this the wrong place to ask for help?
Do I need to open a support ticket for this? If so, is there someone in the support team that knows how lighting interior shadow catcher in C4D works?

2024-06-14, 16:20:12
Reply #22

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile