Author Topic: E-MTB phantom from GGmmoebel  (Read 937 times)

2023-09-18, 21:40:55

morphteksystems

• Users
    • View Profile
Modeled in houdini ,rendered in 3ds max and corona

2023-09-22, 10:53:20
Reply #1

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The level of detail in both, geometry and shaders, is insane. I always wondered - how does one go about modelling something like this? I mean, looking at that rear wheel hub - there's so many tiny screws, metal parts and so on that would be difficult to model from just a reference photo. And it all looks so accurate (or is it?).

Either way, great job.

2023-09-22, 19:02:55
Reply #2

morphteksystems

• Users
    • View Profile
Its not that hard to model from reference photos , its not that accurate aswell ,what is important is to have your frame and wheels being accurate then everything else falls into place and you have wiggle room to fit stuff in ,for instance screws head size or their spiral pattern is not that important but handlebar width was actually perfectly accurate but client wanted it wider because of all the stuff we added onto it ,it appeared smaller because of camera angles and lens so we made it wider but then because of that we also had to increase wheel size etc , so its all smoke and mirrors just to get a good shot everything is increased/decreased in size to appear as best as possible .

2023-09-22, 19:33:59
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I have almost zero knowledge about Houdini. How did you model the bike there? Did you use NURBS, or poly-modeling? If it's former, how did you go with transferring solid model to polygons? Did you have smooth experience with Corona? I know it can be quite painful to render objects with explicit normals in Corona.

I like the model, but i think the shaders could use some love, they look too clean and too generic.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-09-26, 10:13:26
Reply #4

morphteksystems

• Users
    • View Profile
all polygonal modeling with houdini flavor, but on some other products if id ever need to use a nurb modeled model id convert it with moi3d and then easily import the mesh as a obj into houdini and in there theres a vast tool set to make even the jankiest geometry get fixed normals and plugged holes to look fine ,also i fought tooth and nail with client to have at least some kind of texture on some of the parts of the bike ,they wanted it to be surgicaly clean