Author Topic: Concrete material with broken edges  (Read 715 times)

2023-08-19, 13:13:09

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am trying to create a concrete material with edges similar to the attachement.. they should look a little bit "broken"

I have tried it with CoronaPhysicalMtl an with AO or Curvature Map in the Base color.. this worked.. but now with the Base bump..
I dont know how to create the material that i have bumps on the surface and on the broken/worn edges..

Maybe i have to use a Layered Mtl?

I found a tutorial for cinema 4d to create chipped/worn edges on the object itself.. but i dont know if this is possible in 3dsmax or how to do it.. and it this is a correct solution
ab_channel=trahko

2023-08-20, 16:38:34
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ambient occlusion and curvature are calculated after displacement in Corona, therefore those maps cannot be used as displacement drivers. If you want to replicate this effect, you can do this like in the tutorial - select needed edges, create spline shape from them and use that shape to drive displacement, or boolean. My attachment shows how to do the former, but if you want to go the boolean way, then apply renderable spline modifier to the shape, give it some unevenness with noise modifier and apply Corona slicer material. On the other hand, if you want to go fully procedural, you can use 3ds Max data channel modifier. I think there are few examples how to use data channel in the forum and you can google many more on the internet.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-08-21, 07:20:24
Reply #2

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Interesting topic.
Thanks romulus for your input. I tried using DataChannel it works pretty nicely, and the beauty of it is you don't have to bother with the edges spline.

I applied the method described here with the timber floor:

2023-08-21, 09:12:43
Reply #3

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your inputs!
Also posted this on a 3ds max Forum, and got this reply!

Here is one way to do something similar. Like most things in Max, there are multiple ways to do something and sometimes it just comes down to experimentation and cleverness. There isn't a function called 'Make Chipped Edges' so you have to just figure something out.

I'm attaching a file that has something that's similar. I did this:

1. Made a cube.

2. Selected 3 edges and then used 'Create Shape From Selection' from them.

3. I took those edges and in 'Rendering' enabled viewing them.

4. I added 'Noise' to this and then used 'Relax' on it a few times.

5. I used subobject 'Vertices' and 'Soft Selection to squish a few areas to make it less regular.

6. I then subtracted the edges from the cube with 'ProBoolean'

https://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/area-b26/38432/1/ChippedEdges_01.max

2023-08-21, 09:49:56
Reply #4

patr11k

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Interesting topic.
Thanks romulus for your input. I tried using DataChannel it works pretty nicely, and the beauty of it is you don't have to bother with the edges spline.

I applied the method described here with the timber floor:

Would it be possible to upload the max file? Or can you show the settings for chamfer/weighted normals and data channel? i am trying since some time but i dont get the same results :)

2023-08-21, 10:25:21
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
1. Made a cube.
2. Selected 3 edges and then used 'Create Shape From Selection' from them.
3. I took those edges and in 'Rendering' enabled viewing them.
4. I added 'Noise' to this and then used 'Relax' on it a few times.
5. I used subobject 'Vertices' and 'Soft Selection to squish a few areas to make it less regular.
6. I then subtracted the edges from the cube with 'ProBoolean'

I would highly recommend to replace #6 step with this: "i then applied Corona slicer material to the extracted shape object and rendered final result" - you will get the same visual output, but with much cleaner topology and more flexible workflow.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-08-22, 03:28:24
Reply #6

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here you are: