Author Topic: PBR kinda materials  (Read 72270 times)

2016-08-19, 11:41:29
Reply #90

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
..feature-complete principled uber-shader”, which Side Effects tells us is based on the PxrDisney shader introduced in Houdini 15.5.

Mantra joined the ranks of ever-growing army ;- ). So far every good shader is carbon-copy of the Disney.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-19, 17:29:08
Reply #91

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Absolutely must read, good discussion on ChaosGroup: Surprise, the VrayAlm (Vlado's adapted AlSurface code, it's open source), has a correct fresnel term. Great graphs by Adan !
Would love to see the comparison to the newest ubershader from Disney.

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread.php?89466-Rough-Specular-reduces-specularity-amount/page4

On another note, there is also huge shitstorm about tonemapping in F-storm on ChaosGroup as well. See, we aren't so different, people want renderers that work ( good light + good shaders + good tonemapping ) out of the box without any tweaking. Like DSLR camera. (Massive thread, beware)

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread.php?88929-Fstorm-render/page6
« Last Edit: 2016-08-19, 18:11:14 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-08-21, 08:29:36
Reply #92

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Absolutely must read, good discussion on ChaosGroup: Surprise, the VrayAlm (Vlado's adapted AlSurface code, it's open source), has a correct fresnel term. Great graphs by Adan !
Would love to see the comparison to the newest ubershader from Disney.

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread.php?89466-Rough-Specular-reduces-specularity-amount/page4

On another note, there is also huge shitstorm about tonemapping in F-storm on ChaosGroup as well. See, we aren't so different, people want renderers that work ( good light + good shaders + good tonemapping ) out of the box without any tweaking. Like DSLR camera. (Massive thread, beware)

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread.php?88929-Fstorm-render/page6

:) good stuff...

2016-08-21, 10:22:06
Reply #93

Sintel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i've searched uber shader on gg. it looks cool :)
« Last Edit: 2016-08-21, 10:31:07 by Sintel »

2016-08-23, 18:44:56
Reply #94

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Megascans is out guys ! https://megascans.se/

Dubcat and I have been in the private beta, and can assure you, it totally rocks !

And...we need PBR to utilize it. Without full roughness and correct fresnel it's useless. But yeah, it works ;- ) [corona render]

Surfaces come with real-world Albedo, Normal, Displacement, Translucency, Cavity/Specular, Roughness/Gloss, Metalness and AO, all calibrated to the standard Disney Principled BRDF

2016-08-24, 02:25:51
Reply #95

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm watching the quixel new tutorials for megascans... Man this things looks amazing, especially the megascans studio app for blending materials. I'm subscribing right now!

2016-08-24, 11:35:33
Reply #96

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy smokes the future is now! Yes would love to have the PBR directly interchangeable slots and maps in Corona. Im sure its just a matter of time.

When I hastily just jumped into the material library I was a bit disappointed by the relatively small tilable sample area. Only looked to be 1.5m at the most, so quite obvious. But looking at the mega scans studio video that blew me away. I'd like to know though what its like at generating larger surfaces that are more uniform without the mud which maybe hides quite a bit of that repeating pattern. Those cobbles are quite repetative if you remove the mud layer from what I can see. But very impressive non the less. Juraj, have you tried making larger areas with cleaner materials or the mown grass by layering?

Is all the height displacement they show purely generated with the displacement and normal maps? So repeatable on any terrain?

What's the deal with the cut out leafs? are they just to be scattered on surfaces in the studio or to more to be used with our existing model library?

Looking forward to seeing what they do with bricks and paving and how they introduce non tiling colour variations. I like the fact that it just generates maps so we can always take that base and tweak in photoshop to get more specific results.

2016-08-24, 14:01:25
Reply #97

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have they given any indication of how quickly they plan to add those 'waves' of scans? The results of the 3rd and 4th waves should be interesting.

Not that I won't enjoy experimenting with the environmental stuff in the meantime. Looks good!

2016-08-24, 17:16:21
Reply #98

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
Hi. Very interesting thread.

I´m doing some test using Megascans free samples and Vray/Corona. I don´t want to create a Vray Vs Corona conflict here i just need to do this kind of test. They are "visual" test, my objective wasn't´to match reference but to compare different shaders.

I´m getting best results using VrayalMtl GGX mode but i don´t consider this production ready because i don´t know if alMtl will be part of Vray someday and because the shader it´s far from complete.

In Corona i can get "similar" results but 1.5 PBR looks broken (Black halo) and using a falloff on reflection to fix it manually doesn´t look like the best way since falloff itself it´s broken and i don´t like to work "by eye" and i can´r match hotspot on Corona but maybe it´s because i didn´t spend enough time tweaking falloff.

Will do further testing next week after D2.

Corona Results:

Vray:

Best

2016-08-24, 21:14:04
Reply #99

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Vray alMtl (GGX) is the most correct one. Beckmann seems like cool middle-ground, although artistically interesting. I think in Disney papers they only use it in specific cases.

Corona 1.4 GGX is quite hilarious :- ) But the 'fallof-fix' version does indeed look good.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-25, 01:08:39 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-08-24, 22:44:08
Reply #100

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not as competetent as you, but for me Vray GGX looks as bad as Corona 1.4 and Corona 1.5 fallof fix looks as good as Vray alMtl. In fact Corona looks better because of its superior bump mapping.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-25, 00:30:56
Reply #101

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's pretty bad too, in fact, the original Vray script from Quixel guys only used 50RGB on specular (definitely not PBR) to "fix" that. I honestly don't get it, Vray guys tweaked GGX twice, and even kept the ridiculous halo because "some artists liked it for fabrics".

The fallof "fix" I imagine is manually fitting the curve for every roughness, that is no solution to anything.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-25, 00:55:11 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-08-25, 00:41:47
Reply #102

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For fabrics? Isn't that what the falloff node is for. Seems to work perfect with Redshift

2016-08-25, 00:57:04
Reply #103

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
For fabrics? Isn't that what the falloff node is for. Seems to work perfect with Redshift

What do you mean ? Classic falloff in diffuse shading ? Works well enough, in fact I still prefer this.

But I like this : Fuzziness in Disney prx shader (retro-reflection)
https://renderman.pixar.com/resources/current/RenderMan/PxrDisney.html

2016-08-25, 03:02:41
Reply #104

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I meant the falloff in diffuse. Did you mean "sheen" in the Disney shader. I like that