Author Topic: New Hardware help  (Read 2661 times)

2021-01-09, 14:07:00

Bobbysmith05

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys I've been struggling along with an old I5 pc than can bearly run 3ds max and using mental ray. I'm looking to upgrade to something that can run max well and use corona render engine.

I'd be looking to render single frames at 2k to 4k resolution and would need something that can render an image fairly quickly. I'm not looking at photorealistic rendering I'm producing rendering with low res textures but the image must look clean and professional.

My budget is £1800 or roughly $2400  what should I be looking for? Any suggestions
Ideally an off the shelf workstation that I can buy now would suit better than a custom build system.
Cheers

2021-01-10, 10:29:05
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ryzen 9 5950X fits comfortably into that budget if you buy low to mid-tier GPU (which is sadly issue right now, well... any GPU at all). It's better to even skip GPU if you have any right now just to afford 5950X instead of 5900X. The cores matter.

There are plenty small companies that will build PC of your chosen parts for small fee (100-200 +/- on top of part prices) on every market. Big E-Shops sometimes offer it as well.
Just avoid enterprise brands like HP, Dell, Lenovo, IBM, BOXX, etc... because those have surcharge of almost 200perc. of part prices so you wouldn't be able to buy anything reasonable with your budget.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-01-11, 09:45:25
Reply #2

Bobbysmith05

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I ended up going a bit over the budget but I got a ryzen 9 3900x 32gb ddr4 RAM and a nvidia quadro p4000 8gb video card with ray tracing cores.

This processor is lower spec than the one you recommended but this workstation was available now and because I have active jobs I needed something quick rather than wait for a custom machine to be built.

Hopfully I'll see a big increase in performance from my old machine which was an I5 4575 with 8gb of Ddr3 RAM and a nvidia quadro 2000 4gb Video card