Author Topic: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - What graphic card should I buy?  (Read 4873 times)

2020-11-15, 14:29:23

shinanqu

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

TLDR: Which GPU should I buy for a AMD 5950X computer, when I don't want to spend more than 2500 USD?

a friend is an architect and a computer noob. I want to help to build a computer, but I don't know much about architecture.

The total price of the computer should be around 2000 USD, not more than 2500 USD.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X seems to be the best value, so I guess there is no alternative.
32 GB of RAM, is that enough?

Now the graphic card. I tried to find any information and suggestions, but I am really stuck. Corona doesn't need and doesn't use GPU? So I can just buy a 50 USD 10 year old graphic card? For what would I need a graphic card? 3Ds Max, AutoCAD, Corona, they all just use CPU. And the computer is only used for architecture, no gaming.

I saw the funny Nvidia videos that are being released these months, making fun of people who bought graphic cards a few months ago and now bite their a... because the new graphic cards have so much better value. So would I be stupid to buy an old graphic card, when the new ones (RTX 30XX) are so much more powerful and offer a better value for the money? But on the other side, when we don't need a good graphic card, it will just waste a lot of electricity? (just a guess, I might be totally wrong).

I really have no idea which graphic card to buy. Previously I thought
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
But the new RTX 3080 is similarly priced (I think) and much more powerful. But I don't know when it will be available here where I live. I want to buy a computer now and don't want to wait months for a graphic card to be available.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. But I really haven't found much information about that topic. "GPU" is not important, I read everywhere. But there is no suggested which GPU actually to buy. How much money should I spend at least for a GPU? Do you have a suggestion for a GPU?

Thank you!

2020-11-15, 14:59:05
Reply #1

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
5950X would be a very good choice for your budget.

Do not buy a 10 year old GPU. You need that for fluent viewport and for overall system stability, and I mean the VRAM. DO NOT get a card with under 6GB of VRAM because you will ran into black screen and other issues. If you are not in a hurry wait for RTX 3060.

2020-11-15, 15:07:25
Reply #2

shinanqu

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your reply and valuable information! Yes, I also thought about the RTX 3060. I would love to wait for the 30XX series. I will do my best to prolong the waiting time. :-D I'm in SEA though, and I worry the availability here is even worse than in the USA. Don't want to wait several months. I will do my best to convince my friend to wait a bit :-)

2020-11-19, 10:56:25
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So first question first:

32 GB of RAM, is that enough?

No, that is not a good choice. Esp. when budget 64GB (2x32) 3600 CL/18 kits cost only 250 Euro (Like Patriot Viper). Buy 2x32, not 4x16! So that in future, you can upgrade to 128GB potentially if you'll need it. (Hint: You will need it).

As Flavious correctly said above, VRAM is king. There is little performance difference in 3dsMax between version, but for some reason, Turing & Ampere (2xxx & 3xxx) do run faster viewport which is probably due to their compute nature as opposed to Maxwell.
8GB is absolute minimum to get, 10GB is better.

Of course, best course of action would be 16+ like AMD went with their newest card, but unfortunately AMD doesn't have technology like Optix & Cuda which are super preferable for 3D Artist. While Corona doesn't support any CUDA features it does feature real-time Optix AI denoiser which is absolutely fantastic feature for interactive rendering.

Now the question is...when can you get RTX 3080 for normal price? Well....
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-11-19, 11:11:20
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I've seen rumours that rtx 3060 will have 12GB version. I think for 3ds Max that would be best card in terms of price/perf ratio.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-11-19, 19:34:24
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There are by now so many rumours about so many SKUs for RTX :- ).

Either way, worth waiting for them since it's not like you can comfortably by them right now (and absolutely impossible the best version for workstation builds, FE).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!