Author Topic: coronaHDRI  (Read 6584 times)

2014-02-22, 05:27:44

mirokurcik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra,

in the future I would be very grateful for native corona HDRI loader with basic color adjustments (exposure, hue, saturation),
but mainly LINKED with the sun rotation. Sun can be turned off, still will work as a helper for this rotation.

thank you

miro

2014-02-22, 09:12:27
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
This can be already done in 3ds Max by controller wiring (i mean the linking feature). I am not sure feature for such a very specific workflow should clutter the UI. Also, in the other post, you requested CoronaSun to be made as a regular targeted light. That is a good request and makes sense, but in conjunction with this one, it would mean once you align sun with HDRI, lock them together, and start moving sun around, you would not be rotating HDRI only in U, but also in V dimension, so basically you would almost always end up with some crazy environment map orientation.

2014-02-22, 09:44:17
Reply #2

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Yeaah

just the same like using the VRAY HDRI map, it is nicely that you can turn the HDRI by angular (U direction).
But you cannot get "the horizon higher"(read move up or down), only rotate (V direction).

I do not know if it technically would be possible to only get "angular rotation" on the U direction and "metric moving" on the V direction.
But if so I would love it. Especially (for interior scenes) to get more control over the position of where the sun (of HDRI) is shining on floors/walls. (In case you lit your scene only with HDRI)

belly

2014-02-22, 09:47:15
Reply #3

mirokurcik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, we have own wired "sun rig", exactly like you wrote, but why not do is clean and Corona native?
I understand, Corona cant be able to do everything, but I still think that good and user friendly HDRI lighting could be one of primary features modern renderer. Current HDRI workflow with offset bitmap, or horizontal rotate in VrayHDRI, ok, standard for now, but little obsolete too.

And CoronaHDRI idea, CoronaSun in this scenario is only horizontal rotation helper and is typically turned off.

2014-02-22, 09:58:58
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yes, we have own wired "sun rig", exactly like you wrote, but why not do is clean and Corona native?
I understand, Corona cant be able to do everything, but I still think that good and user friendly HDRI lighting could be one of primary features modern renderer. Current HDRI workflow with offset bitmap, or horizontal rotate in VrayHDRI, ok, standard for now, but little obsolete too.

And CoronaHDRI idea, CoronaSun in this scenario is only horizontal rotation helper and is typically turned off.

Why would be rotating environment using U offset obsolete? It is just basic workflow. Ever since nitrous viewport was introduced, you can rotate your environment in realtime in viewport. Sure this feature was broken with introduction of 3ds Max 2014 SP3, but it will be back working in SP4, and in 2012, 2013 and 2014 without SP3, this feature works just fine. You simply display your environment map as background, using "use environment background option" and then rotate it in realtime using U offset.

2014-02-22, 10:13:40
Reply #5

mirokurcik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, offset is basic workflow, but I can not be satisfied with it, for me is obsolete.
And about viewport envir rotation, one of best method for setting light direction is from Top view, you see scene geometry, you can imagine where is sun going, shadow direction.

2014-02-22, 10:15:52
Reply #6

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure this feature was broken with introduction of 3ds Max 2014 SP3

Workaround is to tick/untick tile checkbox, just slightly annoying but it works.

2014-02-22, 10:18:30
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Sure this feature was broken with introduction of 3ds Max 2014 SP3

Workaround is to tick/untick tile checkbox, just slightly annoying but it works.

Yep, know about it. But i cannot suggest this as a "realtime workflow" :) The realtime preview is great, except in SP3 it's not realtime, its more like pain in the ass :D

2014-03-06, 19:16:18
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)