Author Topic: Displacement with Polygon selection  (Read 2729 times)

2020-01-10, 16:00:00

malindis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I think I have spotted a little bug with the new Corona V5.

I have a building with a default material. I have made some polygon selection to apply another material with displacement (the default material has no displacement).

When I render my scene, the building has some strange corner effects (see test1.jpg). I than turn the displacement off in my second material and render again... Everything is perfect (see test2.jpg) ???

It seem's like if corona apply the displacement of the second material (polygon selection) even on polygons not selected...

Bug or not ?

Thanks for your help.

Best

Stefan

2020-01-10, 16:27:42
Reply #1

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
Hey,

same happens here. When you go into Performance Settings and disable the new 2.5D displacement, the effect is not visible anymore. Only thing, you might have to shift back the displacement (depending on how strong it is). Check the attachment.

Best,

Ara
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2020-01-10, 16:56:34
Reply #2

malindis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That’s not exactly the same... in your example the displacement is applied to the entire object.... in my case it’s juste applied to a polygon selection. And the reste is my default material that has no displacement.

In fact, in my previous example image you can’t even see the texture with displacement... it’s somewhere else in the scene.

2020-01-10, 17:03:35
Reply #3

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
I should have clarified my setup: One cube, with one face as polygon selection, two materials, both white, one with displacement; polygon selection has displacement material, rest has white material. That's how I understood your scene.

It would be helpful, to upload the scene, or at least the important part of it. Because something doesn't seem quite right, so the corona devs would like to see a scene ;)

Just to make sure: The displacement material tag is all the way on the right in the object manager, right? The order of the materials tags makes a difference.
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2020-01-11, 17:45:10
Reply #4

malindis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In your example it's normal to have gaps between the two faces... One hase displacement and the other don't

In my example juste part of my face has displacement...

To be more clear I have made a little example:
- White mat no displacement
- pink mat has some displacement (simple noise)

1) First image the displacement has been remover from pink mat.
2) Second image, pink mat has displacement and in the corona performance setting the "New 2.5D displacement" is checked. You can see the weird hedge effect )where the white mat is... so no displacement should occur there)
3) third image, pink mat has displacement and in the corona performance setting the "New 2.5D displacement" is unchecked. Normal behaviour for me !!!

So is that a "New 2.5D displacement" bug or am I misunderstanding something ?

Thanks for the help.

Best

2020-01-11, 19:50:25
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks like a bug to me, too.
A workaround with active 2.5D displacement would be activating the displacement channel also for the non-displacement material and assigning a plain color there with a tiny (0.01 or so) amount in the max level. I had used this workaround already against the "face splitting" in the old 3D displacement with poly selections.
There would be an impact on rendertimes and memory usage (not checked).