Author Topic: Is this a good workstation spec for Corona rendering?  (Read 4843 times)

2019-10-11, 08:53:25

Bobbysmith05

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm looking to render animations and stills at 1080 Res. I currently have an intel i5 with 8gb that runs the benchmark at nearly 12 mins which is too slow. I'm wanting to buy a new machine and use my current one as a node below are the specs I'm looking at. Are these any good for rendering? Cheers any advice much appreciated

Windows 10 Pro 64
Intel® Core™ i7-9700 with Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (3.0 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores)
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
32 GB memory; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD storage

2019-10-11, 14:04:03
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Depending on your other intended uses for the machine, you could probably move several hundred dollars (or currency of choice) out of the GPU and into the CPU :) That would certainly be of more benefit when it comes to rendering with Corona.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-10-11, 15:53:45
Reply #2

Bobbysmith05

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, I found a different machine that has a Ryzen processor instead I'm not too bothered about the graphics card as I'll probably use the new machine as a node. Would these specs suit Corona better?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Twelve-Core Processor - 1x 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz - Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO Motherboard - Novatech Eclipse Mid Tower - & 750W PSU

I'm thinking of getting this and swapping the RAM for 2x 16Gb 3000Mhz for total 32Gb

Would this be a good machine for rendering at 1080 on Corona? I'd need to be able it render 2000-3500 frame animation in reasonable time frame my current machine takes over a week to do this.

2019-10-11, 16:00:17
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can use the Benchmark to compare performance of your current machine vs. planned processor, to get an idea of how much faster it will be (and estimate how much time the animation would take to render based on that, if you have a good estimate for your current machine). https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-10-12, 12:57:33
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If you are looking for a node, you don't need ultra expensive X570 board, the older generation will do just fine. For a node, you definitely should build a PC yourself, or have it built by someone. You will save a lot of money by paying specifically just for what you need. No GPU for example at all.
For a node, I would at least wait for the Ryzen 9 3950X in November.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-10-12, 15:09:21
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For a node, I would at least wait for the Ryzen 9 3950X in November.

Except that probably you'll have to wait a bit longer till November. 3 months after release, i'm still waiting for 3900X :/
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-12, 16:18:43
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Because of the price inflation ? That does suck a lot.. we finally get cheap & powerful stuff, and it gets sold out.

The 7nm Foundries are lacking in production, but on other hand, Intel will be slashing the prices for X299 platform by 50perc. (so 18core i9 goes from 2000 Euro to 1000 Euro if they are to be believed, but seems to be the case).
This should once again somewhat normalize the prices.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-10-12, 16:37:08
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I can't find it at any price, at least locally, but of course i'm not gonna pay €700 for CPU that has MSRP of $499.

Intel will be slashing the prices for X299 platform by 50perc. (so 18core i9 goes from 2000 Euro to 1000 Euro if they are to be believed, but seems to be the case).

That's crazy... and speaks a lot how they've been milking users all those years. Do they also lower prices for their consumer platform? Although i kinda lost motivation to support such company.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-13, 13:18:19
Reply #8

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's crazy... and speaks a lot how they've been milking users all those years. Do they also lower prices for their consumer platform? Although i kinda lost motivation to support such company.

This, 10 times. I'm so hyped AMD is back to the race! I hope they'll manage to catch up with Nvidia on the GPU side as well, which seems a bit more difficult