Author Topic: VrayuHDRI map rotation  (Read 2092 times)

2019-02-25, 01:54:12

Saj83

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I don't think this has been asked before, but if it has please point me in the right direction.

I'm animating the rotation of an HDRI used to light a scene through a VrayHDRI map by animating it's horizontal rotation. Currently it moves roughly 1.5deg over 120 frames at 24fps.

The output video is extremely choppy with the shadows cast moving in an extremely staccato way. I can confirm that the rotation values do go into decimals over the course of the animation. Has anyone else experienced this kind of not-smooth animation with an HDRI? When using a sun system it's smooth.

Thanks in advance

2019-02-25, 02:39:15
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
through a VrayHDRI map
Corona Bitmap supports both HDRI and Environment rotation natively, just in case you didn't know.
roughly 1.5deg over 120 frames at 24fps
That's literally nothing.
0.01° per frame or 0.3° per second. You should barely be able to see a change. Can you post a gif of how the stuttering occurs?

Maybe you accidentally put in a multiple of a circle's rotation, making it seem it's that slow, although in reality it passes a full circle's rotation plus a bit, which now that I think about it can totally cause a shadow flicker every other frame, because the periods don't line up.
3dsMax's Auto keyframe is finicky and caused similar behavior to me before.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-02-25, 04:41:43
Reply #2

Saj83

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi SairesArt,

Sorry my mistake, it's actually 5deg over the 120 frames, not 1.5deg. So yes, definitely doesn't have a full rotation.

Attaching animation.

2019-02-25, 05:49:40
Reply #3

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Wow, truly bizarre!
going of my gut is toggling new/old light solver and trying corona bitmap instead of VrayHDRI, but I'm totally clueless beyond that.

In a couple of hours it will be Monday morning in Europe, so the corona guys and mods will awaken from their deep Sunday slumber. Surely someone will look into it.

Also, really nice looking scene, super sexy soft shadows. This is definitely already photo realistic.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-02-25, 07:21:49
Reply #4

Saj83

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the compliments, will try your suggestion as a test. Our only workaround to this problem has been to replace the HDRi with a Sun system and try and match the lighting as close as possible...

2019-02-25, 09:42:06
Reply #5

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I would also open the Curve Editor and double check what's going on with the animation curve associated with the VrayHDRI map.
Corona Academy (May 2017)

2019-02-25, 10:22:07
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you're using an EXR map format, convert it to HDR and try again.

There's a weird thing that only happens with EXR maps where the map's intensity will differ depending on its rotation. I remember investigating this and it was either the compression method or something else I can't recall anymore. In any case, using HDR maps instead of EXRs was a workaround.