Author Topic: Rain droph on asphalt  (Read 1684 times)

2019-02-14, 09:15:56

jarekhell1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
i'm looking for tutorial to achieve rain drop efect during rain on asphalt, something like this photo. Is it possible in max + corona, or i need to work in postproduction in PS ?

I made one render, scattered water bubbles on street, but it looks not realistic and bad for me.

Help please ;)

2019-02-15, 10:26:00
Reply #1

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
It would definitely be possible in Corona, it just might need a few different approaches to get it looking right.

The texture on the wet asphalt should be pretty easy - a combination of a droplet map (something like https://xoio-air.de/2012/water-droplets/), mixed with some noise/fractal maps to give you the randomisation.

A trickier element would be the splashes of water jumping back off the ground - but you could achieve that by scattering a few random blobs with CScatter or ForestPackPro.

When I have a spare 30 minutes I'll try and knock something up!

2019-02-15, 19:26:10
Reply #2

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also a note I think your rain is too dramatic. When you photograph rain at night you really shouldn't see the drops, unless it is in front of a light

2019-02-15, 21:22:50
Reply #3

jarekhell1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also a note I think your rain is too dramatic. When you photograph rain at night you really shouldn't see the drops, unless it is in front of a light

True, i completely forgot about it, thanks for tip ;)
It would definitely be possible in Corona, it just might need a few different approaches to get it looking right.

The texture on the wet asphalt should be pretty easy - a combination of a droplet map (something like https://xoio-air.de/2012/water-droplets/), mixed with some noise/fractal maps to give you the randomisation.

A trickier element would be the splashes of water jumping back off the ground - but you could achieve that by scattering a few random blobs with CScatter or ForestPackPro.

When I have a spare 30 minutes I'll try and knock something up!

Thanks for link to texture, your idea was really good. I made test render. I used two planes: one with mix asphalt, and second 0,01cm higher with water material. The water mtl has addictional opacity and bump map, and plane has addictionaly displacement mod with drops on water tex. I'm happy with effect, but i think the rings should be smaller.
Bubbles and splashes scattered with FP lite, rain in PS.

how do you think what else to improve in terms of rain and its effects ?
I know, sky should be darker ;)

2019-02-15, 21:31:30
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's looking better, but it still seems kinda weird, like its from a game engine. I think your street needs more reflection