Author Topic: exclude some objects in the scene from motion blur  (Read 2721 times)

2019-01-30, 21:40:08

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everybody.

Is it possible to exclude only some of the objects in the scene from motion blur in 3ds Max.
If I untick enable motion blur in object properties dialog object still renders with motion blur.
Is there some way around this?Thanks!

2019-02-05, 16:01:55
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think there is currently a way to do it, and not sure if it would be possible to implement, but can you explain in what situations something like this would be needed?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-02-10, 21:38:56
Reply #2

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for the late reply Maru, didn't see your answer before.

I'll try to explain my workflow.
I usually setup my architectural visualisation scenes in the way that each camera view is on it's own frame (cam1 on frame 1, cam2 on frame 2...)
In each frame I set sun position,  maybe move a bit some objects in scene if needed to make composition better, add some objects for one frame and move it out of the other...
All of this is animated so that I can batch render my project over night.
This method works great for me until I need to add for example people or cars with motion blur, because I also get motion blur on trees or some other object that i animated to fit better in composition.

So reason why I would need this feature is probably not so common, maybe I should think about some other workflow for this (probably using scene states and turn on/off layers  or something like that)
Thanks!

2019-02-10, 22:23:48
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. One way to do it using your technique, is to use for example every 10'th frame instead. So instead of: frame 1 = cam 1, frame 2 = cam 2 etc., you'll have: frame 10 = cam 1, frame 20 = cam 2 etc.

This gives you space (frames) to animate objects, so only the ones which need motion blur are moving at the rendered frames - everything else stands still.

Only thing to change is to set up the renderer to render only the specific frames - or in my example, every 10'th frame in the sequence.

Hope it helps

2019-02-11, 09:10:14
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I usually setup my architectural visualisation scenes in the way that each camera view is on it's own frame (cam1 on frame 1, cam2 on frame 2...)

It is about a single animated cam throughout all shots, so the simplest option is to use a CoronaCamera: disable camera motion blur and enable geometry motion blur. Use a frame setup like PROH suggested to have enough frames for mblur stuff, then you can render out a range from  frame 10 to x*10 (x=amount of shots) with "every nth Frame" =10 in render setup.

This way you don't even need to use batch rendering and you can send the whole scene with all shots to Backburner with one single submission.

So reason why I would need this feature is probably not so common

We always work like this in scenes with multiple shots. I was glad to get the option for camera and objects seperately when CoronaCam was developed.

Good Luck

« Last Edit: 2019-02-11, 09:15:59 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-02-11, 10:54:28
Reply #5

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great, thanks for the help guys!