Author Topic: Fatal Crash on Interactive Rendering  (Read 4230 times)

2018-11-26, 03:40:07

cdfc

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

While performing an interactive rendering my system completely crash, I mean my workstation flat out shuts down and then restarts. In the windows event log I get a "Kernel Power 41 Critical Error" notification.

I have replicated the same error several times, first time I was moving around a region while also zooming in and out, the other times simply by zooming in and out while performing an interactive rendering. I was able to replicate the same error on a different workstation (bigger/better one), in this case the machine didn´t shut down but 3dsmax crashed every single time.

We tried deactivating the denoiser, still crashed.
Tried deactivating Lightmix setting, still crashed.
Finally deactivating displacement and still crashed.

Other considerations:
I made sure to install nvidia denoiser on installation process.
When prompted about the new desplacement I opted for using the new version instead of the legacy one.
My drivers are up to date.
I have a GTX 960.
The scene was done in Corona 2 originally
I haven´t tried to replicate or test this error on other scenes because I don´t want to keep forcing my system to crash and shutdown.

I think that is all I have for now If I remember something else I´ll update my thread.

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

2018-11-26, 13:31:40
Reply #1

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same happens to me as well on a GTX1080, newest drivers, NVidia optix installed trough Corona installer. I don't have any logs and I've already uninstalled Corona3.

2018-11-26, 13:48:16
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are having issues in IR, those can most likely be avoided without downgrading to Corona 2 by turning off the "Fast preview denoise during render" (see the image in the blog, at https://corona-renderer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/corona-renderer-3-denoise-during-render-ui-b.png). Just to confirm this is what you meant by "deactivating the denoiser" (rather than just turning it off as the final render in the dropdown list for that, which won't affect whether the NVIDIA denoiser runs in IR).

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-11-26, 14:44:44
Reply #3

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As cdfc mentioned it's still crashing even if you turn off the fast preview denoise. RT is ok after that (for me) but the render itself still crashes. Simple scene, the good old plane+teapot+sun combination, created in Corona 3.

BTW the realtime denoiser is one of the most tempting new features of Corona 3 so simply just turn it off is not really an option. I am pretty sure it's an issue/bug and you'll receive more complains when more people start to switch to Corona 3 from 2. It not happens to everybody but it's not a rare something neither.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-26, 14:48:43 by bcgi »

2018-11-26, 15:00:16
Reply #4

Dung (Ivan)

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, if you are experiencing crashes. Can you include minidumps and a scene which crashes (if possible)? It would speed up debugging considerably.

Thank you very much.

2018-11-27, 13:57:43
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Minidumps would be most useful (however not really sure if we can get them if the PC is just shutting down), but it really sounds like a hardware issue. Please make sure that your CPU is not overheating, and that your PSU is powerful enough to power the CPU and GPU under heavy load. Rendering with puts hardware under heavy stress.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-11-27, 16:32:59
Reply #6

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention I have two different nVidia cards in my system. I have a 970 and a 1080. Maybe that can cause the problem. Under Octane it works pretty well you can choose which card to use for the denoising.

Is it possible to set up in Corona which card to use?

CPU isn't overheating, my PSU is a Corsair HX1000i, that should be enough. I am experiencing "only" a Max crash, the computer runs well.