Author Topic: Export C4D Corona Material to 3ds Max Corona  (Read 6128 times)

2018-11-23, 20:03:32

arcmos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there a easy, maybe automated via script, way to Export C4D Corona materials to 3ds Max Corona?

2018-11-24, 16:25:23
Reply #1

arcmos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
f there is a script that can avoid me some manual tasks I would love to even pay for it.
Me too

2018-11-25, 05:31:59
Reply #2

iacdxb

• Active Users
  • 3D Deisgner
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net/iacdxb
If I am not wrong.... old post, in corona future (to do list)... we will be able to use same material for max and c4d. it will be convert tool or different kind of material... corona team can update this.

Windows, Cinema 4D 2023.

2020-01-23, 09:32:39
Reply #3

Daniel Döring

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am still looking for a solution for that matter. Anything happened in the last year that made the export from C4D to 3DS Max better?
I tried fbx and 3ds and all my materials dissapear into standard mats and corona lights become Omni Lights, although Corona is used for both softwares.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2020-01-23, 11:26:14
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hello,

I am still looking for a solution for that matter. Anything happened in the last year that made the export from C4D to 3DS Max better?
I tried fbx and 3ds and all my materials dissapear into standard mats and corona lights become Omni Lights, although Corona is used for both softwares.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

It's not possible at the moment. Good old fashioned manual labour will be needed here.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2020-01-23, 11:41:16
Reply #5

Daniel Döring

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the quick answer although it saddens me really hard ;)

I guess it's because of the fbx/3ds etc exporters that do not understand different render engines!?

EDIT: For anybody who might be interested:
I did some tests:
3ds max to 3ds max with FBX: object keeps Corona Materials - testet in max 2019 and 2020
c4d to c4d with FBX: object looses all material info (object with DefaultMaterial keeps mat with name) - testetd in c4d r21 (trial)

So if Cinema 4D doesn't even export Corona to itself, it will never export to any other software apperantly. So it might just be FBX for C4D, cause Max FBX seems fine.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-23, 13:23:57 by Daniel Döring »

2020-01-23, 13:16:52
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it's more than just different render engines, it's different anything. Being "standards" that work for "everything" they can only contain information that is going to apply to every 3D modeler, like "here is a vertex, it is connected to these vertices, the normals point in this direction", because every software package has a way of defining that data. It can't say "here is a Corona material" since not every package has Corona available, or installed if it is available, or a material that has all the same parameters even if they are named differently - but also can't say "here is a 3ds Max noise shader" because not every software has a noise shader (and if it does, it's not all defined by the same parameters), or "here is a Siger Shader" because not every software has Siger and not everyone will have it installed even if the software package has a version of Siger available, and so on.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-01-23, 13:26:58
Reply #7

Daniel Döring

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I totally get what you mean. I am still asking myself why the fbx for Cinema doesn't store the material info when it's a CoronaMtl; no matter what I do with the FBX later on. (see my EDIT from last post)

2020-01-23, 13:38:00
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There's the extra wrinkle - while FBX is a standard data file format, the code that writes to and reads from FBX files is written by the developers of the 3D host application (as far as I know), so what features they include or don't include in either direction (writing to, or reading from) is up to them. AFAIK that would therefore sound like a question for the 3ds Max and C4D developers, about how they wrote their importer and exporter code.

2020-01-23, 14:03:27
Reply #9

Daniel Döring

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good point. I was under the naive impression that the FBX format was standarized :D
I guess that's just the way it is and I will have to manually recreate the materials and lights etc

But many thanks for your input!

2020-01-23, 14:21:42
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, the format of the file is standardized - what people read and write to it though is going to be different based on the importer and exporter that they develop. Like so many "standards" in the 3D industry, it's still going to change from application to application.

2020-01-23, 17:14:51
Reply #11

Daniel Döring

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe one more question. If I can not use Corona, could I try and revert all materials to standard ones where at least the textures are kept
But I guess not since all the material channels are different.

Maybe I have to learn C4D :P