Author Topic: New Corona Image  (Read 5213 times)

2013-11-22, 14:21:32

Muse

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I took the time to make an image with corona, and not a forestpack scene this time:)
This is it, settings,

bucket mode, pt/hd, pts 48, msi 200,
 lots of hair(butterfly), displacement on ground,
 lit with a custom hdr, forestpack and multiscatter for the multiscatter texture, very complex materials(I am not
 proud of this).
Render time(which I didn't care about), I think close to 7 hours.

I also encountered a bug with corona(a5). When pluging an hdri to the reflections override slot, the reflections were not
given only from this hdri, but in fact I was seeing reflections from both (didn't matter if I was using the max environment or the corona override for illumination).
I tried everything untli I realized that if I replaced the hdrs with something like a procedural the overrides worked fine.
With 2 hdrs, I couldn't get reflections only from the refl override, but I got from both.
Perhaps this is a documented and solved issue, perhaps it's unique to my scene.

Comments are welcome.

2013-11-22, 21:36:02
Reply #1

mykola1985

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice! :-)

2013-11-23, 00:14:21
Reply #2

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A bit more translucency to the wings of the butterfly would add a lot of atmosphere to the image

2013-11-23, 09:45:25
Reply #3

Muse

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A bit more translucency to the wings of the butterfly would add a lot of atmosphere to the image

No it wouldn't, firstly because the given species has not the average butterfly wings(Eastern Tailed-Blue),
but also technically speaking, you don't see a single sided geometry at all. The wings have thickness and onto them hair are growing. What you see are just the hair(400000 strands), there is no geometry apart from these rendered at all. I tried both translucency and blurry refractions, and did many tests before settling with what you see and trying to be as close to reference images as possible.
Even on very sunny photos I could not see any discernible translucensy that I could replicate.
Anyway thanks for your comment and here is the reference I used for textures

2013-11-23, 09:46:18
Reply #4

Muse

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-11-23, 12:11:52
Reply #5

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice indeed. Altough only by your detailed comment i actually noticed the hair work. It is pretty obvious on the edges of the wings but there is something odd about the way specularity feels on the left wing.. As if you were actually lighting a flat surface with high reflection and low glossiness. The blacks particulary could feel denser with micro clumps of high spec. Not easy i guess with no hair shader to play with but improvable  . Anyways that's just my opinion looking at the ref picture. I have never tried to render such thing myself :p

2013-11-23, 15:35:53
Reply #6

Muse

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice indeed. Altough only by your detailed comment i actually noticed the hair work. It is pretty obvious on the edges of the wings but there is something odd about the way specularity feels on the left wing.. As if you were actually lighting a flat surface with high reflection and low glossiness. The blacks particulary could feel denser with micro clumps of high spec. Not easy i guess with no hair shader to play with but improvable  . Anyways that's just my opinion looking at the ref picture. I have never tried to render such thing myself :p

Thank you. Actually, I used hair only, not because I wanted them to be seen, but because playing with just geometry and the shader, I could not get the result I wanted(tried blurry refractions, translucency). I didn't want to render single sided with translucency only. Also the hair you see on the edges are not the same as the main wing, they are bigger and alot fewer. I had tried the same image 5 years ago, with final render  and a newby with vegetation(now I make my own plants/trees) and had comped the same butterfly image on top of the render:)
But after doing this(
) with vray a couple of years ago, I thought lets try a 3d insect with corona!
Can't wait for corona to enter beta, and become even more efficient and appropriate for animations.