Author Topic: Insert downloaded materials into scene  (Read 8467 times)

2018-04-15, 13:05:52

robertkollar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I downloaded some materials from corona-materials.de and would like to use them in my current scene.
The problem is I don't know how to insert the downloaded material into my scene.
I tried to just drag the material into my scene and also tried opening them from the merge objects menu, but
the material always opens up in a new scene window.
How is it possible to insert the materials into the current scene I'm using?

2018-04-15, 13:27:02
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I suppose it's about C4D Corona materials.
Then you can get materials into your scene either via integrated Content Browser (drag & drop) or once you open the scene with the material simply copy/paste it.

2018-04-15, 14:16:16
Reply #2

robertkollar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Integrated content browser worked!
Thank you very much!

2018-04-15, 19:13:38
Reply #3

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
When you have an open scene, you can either import/add to scene from the File Menu in the top-left corner or after opening the scene, just selecting everything and copy paste everything.

I've thought about converting my materials to a library file, but I bet most people would have even more trouble with that.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-15, 19:31:18 by Eddoron »

2018-04-20, 23:30:09
Reply #4

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Eddoron You know that would be a great idea if C4D Corona users create their own .lib files and post them somewhere on this forum. This would help all of us learn more about creating Corona materials. I have a good idea, but I'm sure there are a lot of tricks I don't know yet. Not until the final ships.

2018-04-21, 00:06:13
Reply #5

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
We already have a repository for Corona for C4D Materials. Not as .lib but you can download what you need and create your own lib file.
My stuff
Forum's material section

2019-02-27, 11:57:30
Reply #6

Exactly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been running into some issues here and I don't know if it is me doing something wrong or something is not working as it should.

I have downloaded this material: https://www.corona-materials.de/en/material-library/metal/steel-black-painted-scratched-dust/130
All looks good and as it should when opening the C4D file and viewing via the IR and all looks in place in the node editor.

When I copy/paste the material (Steel-Black-Painted-Scratched-Dust, as there are several materials in this one file) into another scene or drag it into a .lib in the content browser it no longer looks like it should.
If you then drag the material (from the scene you pasted it into) and look at it in the Node Editor you can see loads of nodes are missing. I don't know why this is happening.

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Cheers

------
OSX
Latest Daily Corona build
C4D R20

2019-02-27, 12:54:00
Reply #7

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is because it is a Layered Material. You cannot copy/paste layered materials or save them to the Content Browser. You always have to reload the materials into the layers.

2019-02-27, 17:06:58
Reply #8

Exactly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info.
Is this a limitation of Corona or C4D?
This makes dealing with layered textures a bit of a nightmare if I want to have a collection of them in my library.

2019-02-28, 05:18:59
Reply #9

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's a Corona thing and it is a bit of a PIA.
Here's what I do when I want to save a layered material in my Content Browser. First I made a folder in the CB and named it Layered Materials. Then when I have a layered material I want to save I place that material onto an object (usually a simple cube). Then I create a scene using the Shadow Catcher and Corona Sky with a white material as the environment. Then render a few passes at like 100x100 pixels and save the rendered image as a jpg. Then I drop the cube with the layered material applied into my Layered Materials folder. For some reason I do not get a thumbnail preview image when I save an object with a corona material applied, so I have to left click on the saved object in my browser and select "Set Preview" then pick the rendered jpg that I saved.

2019-02-28, 10:29:08
Reply #10

Exactly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tip!
I tried that but using a Null with the materials applied and it worked a treat.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Appreciated.

2019-10-18, 09:54:19
Reply #11

bkjernisted

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you need to rename materials from coronamaterials with underslashes_ rather than slashes- before you unzip and use them? What is the naming convention?  Is there a video on how to load these materials into cinema 4d? Thanks for all the explanations in this post.

2019-10-18, 10:49:06
Reply #12

bkjernisted

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please see this page for an explanation of missing materials when unzipped. https://www.corona-materials.de/en/material-library/architecture/black-granite/149   Look in the comments. Thanks

2019-10-24, 12:13:27
Reply #13

brankonovakovic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is very simple, in object manager on the top right you have a menu: file+merdge object and just finds the location of your material and merge in your current scene.
If you have opened material in a new scene, you just click on your material and pres CTRL+C and go into your scene and just paste using CTRL+V.
One important thing is if you have some bitmap, jpg file like some kind of texture in diffuse, reflection, refraction... Chanel sometimes have problem wit losing path to that texture but the solution I simple just reload path.
Regards,
Branko.