Author Topic: Multi/Sub-object material gnerating unnecessary LightSelect elements  (Read 4007 times)

2018-03-01, 12:51:16

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a multisub material and one of the slots has a coronalight material in it.
When i detach the light material from the multisub and generate the lightzt layers automatically i get 2 lightselect elements
When i reattach the coronalight material to the multisub it shoots up to 60 layers when i try to generate.
Im very confused, surely it should only add one layer if theres one light material? What seems to be happening is every object that has the multisb applied is getting a lightselect element rather than just the ones with the light material applied.

Thanks
Jack

Explanation: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19502.msg121985#msg121985
« Last Edit: 2018-03-02, 22:50:42 by jpjapers »

2018-03-01, 13:18:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you show screenshots of what generates 2 layers for you, and what generates 60? I did not quite understand it from your description.
Also, is this 3ds Max or C4D?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-01, 13:47:41
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you show screenshots of what generates 2 layers for you, and what generates 60? I did not quite understand it from your description.
Also, is this 3ds Max or C4D?

Yes sorry i didnt explain very well. Its for Max 2018 with 1.7.3
In the images below the blend node goes to slot #4 in a multisub.

2018-03-01, 17:16:50
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
May need the scene here, or at least more information about the scene itself.

I set up a Blend, replaced one material with the CoronaLightMtl, applied it to 2 boxes, and used the auto create LightMix, and only got on LightSelect per box. So it may depend on what the material is being assigned to. Also, if you just assign the CoronaLightMtl directly in place of the Blend, do you still get the 60 layers (which would again suggest it is not the Blend, but what the material is assigned to)?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-03-01, 22:54:20
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May need the scene here, or at least more information about the scene itself.

I set up a Blend, replaced one material with the CoronaLightMtl, applied it to 2 boxes, and used the auto create LightMix, and only got on LightSelect per box. So it may depend on what the material is being assigned to. Also, if you just assign the CoronaLightMtl directly in place of the Blend, do you still get the 60 layers (which would again suggest it is not the Blend, but what the material is assigned to)?

Perhaps im misunderstanding how the lightselect elements work.
What appears to be happening in my scene is that corona is generating a separate lightselect element for every object that the multisub is applied to.

2018-03-02, 13:23:04
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am sorry, but your report is not very clear.

Is this what you mean?
-A Multi/Sub-Object material is created, and it contains a Corona Light Material in at least one slot.
-When the Setup LightMix option is used, a LightSelect render element is generated for each of the objects using that Multi/Sub-Object material, even if the objects are not using the Corona Light material on them (only the base Multi/Sub-object material)
-The expected result would be that a LightSelect element would be created only for the objects which are using the Corona Light material
?

I am also attaching a screenshot of the issue, and a sample scene.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-02, 13:51:39
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am sorry, but your report is not very clear.

Is this what you mean?
-A Multi/Sub-Object material is created, and it contains a Corona Light Material in at least one slot.
-When the Setup LightMix option is used, a LightSelect render element is generated for each of the objects using that Multi/Sub-Object material, even if the objects are not using the Corona Light material on them (only the base Multi/Sub-object material)
-The expected result would be that a LightSelect element would be created only for the objects which are using the Corona Light material
?

I am also attaching a screenshot of the issue, and a sample scene.

Thats exactly what is happening, sorry for the bad explanation. The expected result for me would that there would only be one lightselect element created for the material rather than each object if possible as id like to set the light levels across multiple objects at once. I know i can do this manually.