Author Topic: Clay texture with finger prints  (Read 8327 times)

2018-01-12, 17:05:18

herncabret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm trying to make a hand made clay material to make renders that give an impression of an old stop motion animation type model. Think Wallace and Gromit.

It has to have impurities in it to show human error like finger prints and scratches.. and at the same time look like a soft clay material.

The image is a reference from google of what somebody has achieved with Z Brush.

I thought a good starting point may be a rubber from the Corona Library?

Any tips?

Thanks

2018-01-12, 19:33:13
Reply #1

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
You will defiantly need a finger print texture to use in the  reflection Gloss. Something like this one >>

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/68/20/d9/6820d9c8ef7ac0f6ceda8f6d7a3a95bd--fingerprints-the-arts.jpg

2018-01-12, 22:34:05
Reply #2

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is what I came up with...

Looking at the Grommit reference photos, I think your clay looks far too wet and shiny.
In the material I came with I used: a glossiness value of around 0.3, Used both a bump and displacement, and some noise in the diffuse mixed with the colour to provide some subtle colour variation.

For the bump map... I 50% mixed two versions of the fingerprint map that davemahi provided, one with a strong blur and an unmodified version.

I then used a heavily blurred grungy looking map, with a 4mm spread in displacement.

2018-01-13, 18:15:45
Reply #3

herncabret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That looks great Mferster very close to what I'm looking for!
If I were to want slightly larger and deeper impressions like accidental finger impressions (a rubbish level of craftsmanship) would you just add another map to the displacement or would it have to come down to geometry?

2018-01-15, 17:18:18
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would just increase the intensity of the bump map or displacement map, or maybe add a slight noise modifier to the model

2018-01-15, 17:44:09
Reply #5

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
I'll be cheeky and plug the Corona tri-planar map. Been making all sorts of great "no UVs required" materials for recent jobs with it. Though I reckon won't be good for animation.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-01-16, 10:46:47
Reply #6

herncabret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds great i'll give all of this a try later today.
Haven't given triplanar a go yet..should be interesting.