Author Topic: Sharing DR Power in an Office Automatically.  (Read 1674 times)

2017-08-09, 14:14:24

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Issue - DR servers can get 'hogged' by artists rendering.

So the ideal solution would be when people start/stop rendering with DR there is an option for these DR servers to share the workload. Example;

Situation:
3 artist and 12 render nodes with DR spawner.

1 artist starts to renders grabs all 12 nodes.
2 more artists start rendering, the nodes finish off the pass it is on and then splits 3 ways, 4 nodes each.
1 artist stops the nodes change to a share of 6 per artist
.....You get the idea.

If this is possible it should be a tickbox that can enable this shared feature as I realize this may not always be wanted.

If this is not possible then simply have an option 'limit to x' amount of servers. I know you can select your servers pre render but it is no adaptable enough when people are all starting/stopping renders and nodes come online/offline changing this list gets annoying.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

2017-08-09, 15:05:40
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can use the "Search LAN during render" option, so if one artists stops rendering, the node will be ready to contribute to DR, and if another artists launches DR, it will pick that node up automatically.

Other than that, I think more "complex" tasks like this can be accomplished using dedicated render managers such as Thinkbox Deadline.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-08-09, 15:16:48
Reply #2

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the response. We use Search LAN but this doesn't really solve the situation described which is why I have put this in as a feature requests!

Vray had a MAX Servers tick box which is basically what I describe after my first more complex suggestion (which may or may not be possible).

You can waste render power using this method but it also helps to share render power when it's in demand from multiple artists. This is something we don't get with DR and Corona and even having this would be helpful to my office that's for sure!

2018-10-19, 14:30:39
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have various DR improvements planned.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us