Author Topic: Animate Corona Sun Object  (Read 3621 times)

2017-06-27, 21:36:19

Behrendt

• Active Users
  • I'm a freelance 3D Artist from Cologne/Germany
    • View Profile
    • My online portfolio
Hi guys,

maybe again more kind of a workflow hickup than a real bug - but I was working on scene with various different cameras, for which I have to animate the sun angle in the scene sometimes. After rendering I saw that the sun animation wasn't working properly. This is because the Corona Sun object has separate/redundant attributes for Sun rotation in itself and those values seem to overwrite the global position & roation of the object itself. I feel this is a bit complicated and could be really annoying when you need to animate the sun in more complex scenario.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

2017-06-27, 23:15:15
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried to apply a C4D sun tag and animate the values in there?

2017-06-28, 10:35:22
Reply #2

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

maybe again more kind of a workflow hickup than a real bug - but I was working on scene with various different cameras, for which I have to animate the sun angle in the scene sometimes. After rendering I saw that the sun animation wasn't working properly. This is because the Corona Sun object has separate/redundant attributes for Sun rotation in itself and those values seem to overwrite the global position & roation of the object itself. I feel this is a bit complicated and could be really annoying when you need to animate the sun in more complex scenario.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I don't know. For me it seems pretty intuitive, even if some parameters in the object are redundant. Of course, if you animate two conflicting parameters, that could make the sun go crazy. Is this what you encountered?

2017-06-28, 12:42:27
Reply #3

Behrendt

• Active Users
  • I'm a freelance 3D Artist from Cologne/Germany
    • View Profile
    • My online portfolio
Hi guys,

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I don't know. For me it seems pretty intuitive, even if some parameters in the object are redundant. Of course, if you animate two conflicting parameters, that could make the sun go crazy. Is this what you encountered?
Hmm... but when I light my scene I usually just move/rotate the Sun-Object itself. Seems really redundant and unnecessary to introduce these additional parameters that give no additional value but only obstruct the normal C4D-Workflow?

edit:
@Cinemike
No, I didn't use the sun tag. I just have 12 or so different camera views on a project and wanted to keyframe the sun for each frame. It's much easier for me to adjust the global position and rotation with the usual coordinates & gizmo rather than using the sun expression with date & time etc.

And just to clarify - I can adjust to this behaviour if it's deemed correctly. It just seems very counterintuitive and unnecessary to deviate that much from the normal C4D workflow I think without having any aditional benefits.

2017-07-07, 12:13:30
Reply #4

Mor4us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MAD Imagery
I can confirm the behavior behrendt describes. that's why i tend to have several sun objects for different camera angles and sun positions.
not the best way to handle this, and to be honest, I'd prefer to use the sun object like behrendt described.

2017-07-07, 14:16:12
Reply #5

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hmm... but when I light my scene I usually just move/rotate the Sun-Object itself. Seems really redundant and unnecessary to introduce these additional parameters that give no additional value but only obstruct the normal C4D-Workflow?

Hmm, now when I'm trying it again the angle of the sun updates, but not rotation. So this might be a bug. But otherwise, I don't see how it obstructs your workflow. It's just additional parameters that you can ignore if you don't want to use them...

I'm not sure why the parameters were added into the Corona Sun object, but logically it makes sense, as you have all the settings in one tab. Also, it might be matter of consistency with 3DSMax