Author Topic: Reflection Amount  (Read 6065 times)

2017-03-17, 19:21:52

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Group.  I'm very new to Corona (less than a week now) and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the quality AND EASE of this renderer.  I have been a Vray for C4D user the last 7 or so years and have been able to increase the quality of my images within only a few days with Corona.  As there isn't much in the way of documentation for this alpha version of Corona, I am following along with some 3DS Max material tutorials.  Often they mention reducing the reflection amount.  In C4D, it appears that the color is the only value I am able to adjust.  What would I do to get similar results?  Also, the glossiness values seem to be much different.  It takes very little movement below 1 to get a quite glossy surface.   In some of the Max tutorials I have been watching, they are reducing metal glossiness down in the .4/.5 range.  If I go this far, I get completely different results.  Any advice on learning the material system would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2017-03-17, 20:03:10
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Bear in mind that the glossiness value works a little differently since PBR mode was introduced - so depends on how old the tutorial is you are watching for Max :) That changed in 1.5, so any tutorials older than 4 months ago (when the PBR Shading in Corona tutorial came out) may show different settings or results.

In Max, darkening the Reflection Colour has the same effect as lowering the Reflection Amount - and with the PBR workflow, the general recommendation now is always to use a Reflection Amount of 1 anyway, and control reflections via Glossiness (Reflection Colour only being used for metals, and Fresnel being used to increase the overall reflection strength for metals). Again, the workflow is shown in the PBR Shading in Corona video, there's one for Max and there's a Preview version for C4D that follows the same points as the Max one:

PBR Shading for Max:

And the similar thing for C4D (a Preview, as there may be UI changes etc between this video and final release for C4D, so we'll likely re-record this as a final tutorial once 1.0 is out)

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-03-18, 15:47:35
Reply #2

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tom - Thanks for the reply.  I found the videos very helpful.  Kevin