Author Topic: Rendering inside Fog, dust and clouds using Corona Volume Mtl  (Read 5591 times)

2017-03-03, 12:19:10

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Hi!
We're working on a scene where we want to add fog, dust and other atmospheric effects using the corona volume mtl as it looks absolutely awesome and gives really nice volumetric effects.

But here is the kind of scenario:
Our scene contains of a sandy landscape made up of dust haze and sand blowing in the wind.
I have found some creative ways to use meshes to function as dust clouds and so on and the all render very nicely when the camera is outside the mesh.
Please see attached example file for illustration.

But what if there was a dust cloud moving towards the camera, making the camera pass through the volume? This is where I'm struggling as once the camera is inside the volume it renders not as I would expect it to look. Please see attached picture for illustration

It's ofc possible to do dust and all the "old fashioned" way with PFlow and camera facing planes but I don't think this renders as nicely and does not give the beautiful volumetric scattering of the light (how could it? as it's all fake).

Maybe someone has encountered a similar issue and knows a work around?

Thanks in advance :)

2017-03-03, 12:22:53
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Boolean? Place a sphere at camera's location and boolean it from dust mesh. You can even animate boolean as long as you won't colapse it to editable mesh.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-03-03, 12:56:08
Reply #2

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Boolean? Place a sphere at camera's location and boolean it from dust mesh. You can even animate boolean as long as you won't colapse it to editable mesh.

That's actually a great tip and it seems to be working well :) However........ it works great with a static camera but my scene contains a moving camera and linking or Pos. Constraining the mesh to the camera will also move the volume object as they become one with a boolean.... or am I overlooking or doing something wrong maybe?

I tend to avoid using boolean operations as it messes up the meshes wireframes so I don't have too much experience using boolean..

2017-03-03, 15:50:34
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unfortunatelly, can't help you here - me too have very little experience with animated booleans.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-03-03, 18:14:02
Reply #4

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Unfortunatelly, can't help you here - me too have very little experience with animated booleans.

Thanks for the tip anyway :)

2017-03-15, 17:47:51
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There should be no problem with linking the subtracting boolean to the camera and animating it, at least if it inside the fog object. It should not mess the geometry, especially if ProBoolean is used.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-06-12, 15:54:56
Reply #6

fosski

• Users
    • View Profile
This free script from clovis gay is pretty neat.
Let's you animate objects and do non-destructive boolean with ease.