Author Topic: Printing RGB Corona render turns out bleached (cmyk)  (Read 3040 times)

2016-10-27, 09:19:54

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

A printing related question. So far all my daytime renders print out very well. What i see on my screen is looking very similair on what i print. But now i rendered an evening scene, with lots of blues. And when i print it, it turns out very bleached and grey. The nice blues in the render is very dull. Similair colorshift is visible when setting the render in photoshop from RGB to CMYK. I alrealy showed the nice screen version to my employer, so i really want to print it like that.

Do you guys have any tips with this problem?

2016-10-27, 21:08:27
Reply #1

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
What format do you save in? May be it's 32 bit? So it will be conversion problem. Anyway  if it looks good in photoshop - this is not corona problem. May be printer configuration?

2016-10-28, 08:03:14
Reply #2

vemod

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're trying to print colors that's outside the CMYK gamut.
Shades of blue and red are usually very tricky to heavily saturated if you're printing with plain old CMYK.

Here's a handy graphic explaining the problem:
http://www.colorprintingforum.com/attachments/layout-graphics-prepress-software/406d1254902900-how-change-rgb-cmyk-cmyk-vs-rgb.jpg

As for solution, either enable "View - Proof Colors (Ctrl + Y)" and adjust your colors until everything or most of the things are not the grey color that indicates out of gamut colors.
You can use the "Select color range" tool and pick the out of gamut option to quickly select the colors that need adjustments. Be sure to feather the selection so it's not jarring.
You will either need to hue shift or desaturate the out of gamut colors to make stuff fall in line.

A trick that some times work is to desaturate the image overall by 25-50% when in RGB-mode, convert to CMYK, and then add back the saturation you removed with the reverse of the desaturation. Your mileage may vary.

2016-10-28, 09:04:47
Reply #3

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies!

I did not know about the "view - proof colors". Does this show the image in CMYK format? I found adding a photofilter, in green or yellow, to counterbalance the blueish tint in the image also helped a bit. But unfortunately the print did not came out as nice as on screen.