Author Topic: Curtain issues  (Read 8569 times)

2013-08-05, 16:28:21

gabe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, i could would really appreciate some help...

How do you usually work with curtains who are closed, but still let so much of sun light inside the room, something kind the attached images?

Before, with vray, if i had an interior with windows and a curtain, for me to get the light to get inside the space, i would choose that those curtains would be excluded from the light wich came from outside... how can i solve the problem now?

As i've seen on another topic, for basic effect of light shinning through the curtain, just set refraction mode of curtain material to twosided, and raise refraction level to pass more light through the curtain, but that solution turns the curtain too much transparent, wich i don't want to. I need the clarity to come inside the room, but visualy the curtain shouldn't look so much "see-through".

Any suggestions?

2013-08-05, 20:01:20
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe try giving them some translucency?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-08-05, 20:06:24
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, the goto effect for curtains is translucency. You can also try opacity. There is IMHO no reason to use twosided glass for it, unless you want the curtains to be glossy.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-08-06, 10:56:32
Reply #3

gabe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes after i posted this issue i started playing with the translucency, but the scene still seemed too dark... but i guess its a good starting point to achieve the final effect, and that every render still has some seconary lights inside it!

I was using twosided because i was reading i topic from (i think it was) Rawalanche, that said that "for curtain material to pass sunlight through, you should not use opacity, but refraction level parameter, with refraction mode set to twosided, and optionally, refraction color to be mapped with opacity map. This is at the moment more efficient solution than mapping opacity. You don't necessarily need to map refraction level if you do not want to, for basic effect of light shining through the curtain, just set refraction mode of curtain material to twosided, and raise refraction level to pass more light through the curtain. Mapping the refraction color will occlude sun based on the map you put in."

I will try some more settings later, thanks for the help

2013-08-06, 11:05:28
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yeah, that is probably some outdated info from when there was a bug in the opacity
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-23, 15:28:17
Reply #5

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
did you get any further with this? I've got exact same issue

2013-09-25, 17:24:07
Reply #6

gabe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I believe i did yes, but not totally.

When i cotinued testing the curtain material previously only with translucency, i got some better effects:

..and maybe using some more external and internal light the scene would look better:

But then i tried to work with the opacity in the material options, and what i did was simply aplly a very contrasted texture of the curtain, like for the bump but really just black and white, so that when i rendered the curtain would, like in "real life", have "holes":

...but now she is too transparent, so, still didn't get there...