Author Topic: Corona Interactive vs Vray RT (CPU)  (Read 15670 times)

2016-06-07, 19:45:51

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm testing my single (soon to be dual) Xeon 2696 v3 and i'm amazed at how fast Corona Interactive is comparing to Vray RT (cpu). Vray RT crashes at times and is not really usable in production to test the lighting assuming we keep materials and don't use material override. No crashes on Corona.

I'm curious as to why can't vray reach the level of speed of Corona Interactive? Production Render times are almost equal to me between the two since i still use IM+LC on vray. The differences of interactivity between them are really really noticeable though.

2016-06-07, 20:36:09
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
VrayRT was not a planned feature and was tacked on when it first started development. The main goal of VrayRT was clearly defined as GPU acceleration, CPU functionality was meant primarily as debug and a legacy function. The main problem was the two different functionalities. Vray used exclusively render buckets, which was not compatible with an interactive progressive refinement idea.
So they started deving it, which ment for the longest of times, Vray RT couldn't do half of Vrays materials and features. Now VrayRT is a mature interactive GPU preview system.

Corona did stuff differently. It was planned from the get go to have an interactive functionality and progressive render nature only helped cement that. Basically, Corona IR is almost 100% the same as normal render, the only difference being, that AAvsGI is something super low and thus sampled faster, but doesn't cast rays as efficiently and auto updates. That's it, no real difference.
So this is basically the reason, no code was changed for CoronaIR, while Vray had to reinvent itself. (Which they did a very good job on the GPU side, for such a long running product)

Production Render times are almost equal to me between the two since i still use IM+LC on vray.really noticeable though.
Corona gains much speed by being built from the ground up on Embree, but loses a little bit, by always having Reflective caustics on, while reflective caustics are Default off in Vray and have to be enabled. So a comparison is not really possible. Only thing that really matter in the end is preference.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-06-07, 20:59:37
Reply #2

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the explanation SairesArt! As far as i know Vray 3.3 changed that. Reflective caustics are now on by default but still have the ability to be turned off when needed.

2016-06-07, 21:07:00
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you for the explanation SairesArt! As far as i know Vray 3.3 changed that. Reflective caustics are now on by default but still have the ability to be turned off when needed.

Do you use them in production ? I really wonder how well they work since they're by default ON. (By I presume they get curbed by MIS as well).

Reflective GI caustics are my wet dream. It's the ultimate holy grail of lighting that almost no renderer can tackle : / I mean, most can't even tackle refractive, Corona included, but GI caustics, that's what I want to see.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-08, 00:55:24
Reply #4

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Do you use them in production ? I really wonder how well they work since they're by default ON. (By I presume they get curbed by MIS as well).

Reflective GI caustics are my wet dream. It's the ultimate holy grail of lighting that almost no renderer can tackle : / I mean, most can't even tackle refractive, Corona included, but GI caustics, that's what I want to see.

Yep if Corona could do refractive caustics/sun water caustics I wouldn't' have to use Thea ;)

2016-06-08, 12:42:18
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Reflective GI caustics are different that "Caustics" ))
Corona do it (Reflective GI caustics) by default. Also VRay now.

2016-06-09, 17:01:57
Reply #6

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Very rarely i used reflective caustics in commissioned jobs that i can remember. I only recently started fiddling with the (now outdated...) vray 3.3 due to lack of time in between projects. New variance-based adaptive sampler is indeed faster and much more simple but i haven't tried any scene with heavy caustics to be honest. Anyways nothing beats Corona Interactive... And this is with only one of my Xeon's 2696 v3. I can't imagine when the other cpu arrives. It's realtime!

2016-06-10, 14:35:54
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
quick sidenote, reflective and refractive caustics are the same from the point of the view of algorithms. An algorithm that works on reflective ones will work on refractive and vice versa. Most differences in handling are observed between directly visible caustics and caustics visible in mirror/behind glass
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-12-08, 21:11:52
Reply #8

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it seems i've had it with vray. Lightcache takes ages in most of the scenes with my 2x 2696 v3 due to a +48cores (known) bug in vray... Why i'm not hearing that same bug from other users beats me.

Interactive rendering in Corona is lighting fast in complete interior scenes where vray rt can't simply manage. Not to mention the underexposure vray rt frequently gives me in interiors.

Ondra, is there any way to get interactive even faster? I generally set precision to 0,01 to improve feedback when testing general light and materials and then set it back to the default 1,0 before final rendering. Is that the only value we can crank down to improve interactivity?

2016-12-08, 22:21:17
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well, it seems i've had it with vray. Lightcache takes ages in most of the scenes with my 2x 2696 v3 due to a +48cores (known) bug in vray... Why i'm not hearing that same bug from other users beats me.

Interactive rendering in Corona is lighting fast in complete interior scenes where vray rt can't simply manage. Not to mention the underexposure vray rt frequently gives me in interiors.

Ondra, is there any way to get interactive even faster? I generally set precision to 0,01 to improve feedback when testing general light and materials and then set it back to the default 1,0 before final rendering. Is that the only value we can crank down to improve interactivity?

Interactivity should be generally very fast even with precision set to something like 0.5, because IR mode of corona divides that value by 4. If you are getting slow delays in IR, UHDcache may not be the issue. There's severe bug that causes Corona to re-translate entire scene with every change when looking through 3ds Max's physical camera. Maybe that is your case too. Workaround is to put CoronaCameraMod on top of the physical camera, or use old 3ds Max camera.

2016-12-08, 23:48:08
Reply #10

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not compaining Rawalanche :) It's damn fast even with default precision set to 1,0. It's even faster with precision at the minimum of 0,01. I was just wondering if there was some other tweak i could make that could improve interactivity even further. I'm still on Max 2014 and i always use CoronaCameraMod so the max physical camera bug is not something i've come across. Good to know, btw. Thanks!

2016-12-09, 13:03:43
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

we just did very noticeable speedup for interactive rendering, will be availabile in next daily ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-12-09, 13:09:59
Reply #12

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I'm not compaining Rawalanche :) It's damn fast even with default precision set to 1,0. It's even faster with precision at the minimum of 0,01. I was just wondering if there was some other tweak i could make that could improve interactivity even further. I'm still on Max 2014 and i always use CoronaCameraMod so the max physical camera bug is not something i've come across. Good to know, btw. Thanks!

I was just writing it because if you set precision to something like 0.01, then for IR it will be something like 0.0025. That is so extremely low that you will see huge lighting artifacts and possibly lighting that will be very different to final scene. And then, your IR rendering will stop being WYSIWYG.

So be careful with precision. Lowering it to 0.5 for previews should be more than enough. That will mean 0.125 for IR. If you want to take UHDcache delay completely out of equation, just set secondary GI to Path Tracing too. It will slow down noise cleanup in interiors, but for exteriors/products/cars... etc... you won't notice a difference.

2016-12-09, 19:54:13
Reply #13

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Excellent pointers Rawalanche! Thank you! Changing the secondary solver to PT definitely improves IR interactivity albeit taking longer to clear noise. It's probably better than messing with UHD precision. To be tested... :)

Ondra, that's VERY nice to hear! :) I'm loving Corona even more!

2016-12-10, 02:33:19
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
we just did very noticeable speedup for interactive rendering, will be availabile in next daily ;)
in corona, everything is developed at full throttle and improvements never ends :) congrats!