Author Topic: Yacht Animation  (Read 2605 times)

2015-12-07, 18:41:09

caioquintana

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys.

This is our first animation in Corona. We had a very short deadline, so we could not make everything the way we wanted, like the foam.
The ocean and foam were simulated in Phoenix FD, but as you can see I coudn't use the animated mesh from phoenix mainly because I can`t turn off the object cast shadows for it, so there was no way to comp it with the other static ocean.
The interior shots took way longer than I was expecting, but the exterior were fast.

Hope you guys enjoy, any tips and tricks are welcome :)

2015-12-08, 13:29:03
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Some notes:
-I would advise turning off "lock sampling patter" in render setup - you would get rid of the ugly static noise pattern, and it would allow you to use denoising in post
-the foam - " I coudn't use the animated mesh from phoenix mainly because I can`t turn off the object cast shadows for it" - sorry, I don't understand - why do you think you couldn't disable the shadows?
-the scene where one part of the yacht is going underwater (01:00) - there is an ugly "jump" when the object goes under the water - it's probably caused by:
a) the water not having any displacement, being a flat plane
b) using refraction color instead of absorption - absorption should make the color transition smooth
-either it's the compression, or there is some flickering in the flythrough scene - you should be able to get rid of it by using pre-computed UHD Cache: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-08, 15:16:12
Reply #2

caioquintana

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru, thanks for the tips.

-I would advise turning off "lock sampling patter" in render setup - you would get rid of the ugly static noise pattern, and it would allow you to use denoising in post
I'll try that next time.
sorry, I don't understand - why do you think you couldn't disable the shadows?
As I understand the only way to cast no shadows in corona right now is to use corona rayswitch and use a thin material to fake it right? when I did that I loose the absorption color and the refraction effect.
-the scene where one part of the yacht is going underwater (01:00) - there is an ugly "jump" when the object goes under the water - it's probably caused by:
Yes, we didn't have the time to simulate the water on that scene so it is just a plane with displacement and an animated texture for the wood.
there is no color for refraction, it's all absorption.
-either it's the compression, or there is some flickering in the flythrough scene - you should be able to get rid of it by using pre-computed UHD Cache: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
We used pre-computed for all the scenes where the yacht is not moving, it should be the compression.