Author Topic: Belly's WIP  (Read 7435 times)

2014-02-19, 10:51:21

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi All

My first goal was trying to setup a descent Studio Setup file:
Lightning: Corona Lights (6500 Kelvin)

Then I wanted to test some material settings, I used the PK9 model from Paul Kjaerholm (downloaded it from Friz Hansen)
Render settings: PT (default) + HD (default) + DOF + Gaussian Width 2 px and 2 hr cooking.

Problems I ran into: The mapping on the model was bad. I used Neil Blevins BlendedBoxMapMaker script (part of the famous Soulburn Scripts) on the leather part of the chair.
The script makes use of MIX maps. Max/Corona crashes whenever I want to render with MIX maps attached to the Displacenment slot of the leather material. So I had to use Bump instead.

POST: yes mainly exposure and a few colour corrections + vignetting.

cheers

Johan
« Last Edit: 2014-02-19, 11:21:59 by belly »

2014-02-19, 14:57:47
Reply #1

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hello,

the vigneting a bit too much for me...And here as well I found something strange on the leather surface.
I have something simmilar result of the leather. And this is maybe about the reflecting...?

My question is the next, maybe some prof knows the right answer...
So...when I make the leather, then  I add in reflection bitmap to the reflection slot. This useally just a grey bitmap. My problĂ©m is, when I see the resault, there has a lot of grey reflection in the leather's deep surface...
But opposite, if I use the colored diffuse bitmap in the reflection slot, then the resault is better, not looks like fake...

But...another question is...If I get the "main" color of the diffuse map, and scale to the black and white ends, for example brown for the leather, that should be a better way to make a realy reflections for any surfaces ?
Like leather, wood, fabric, organics etc.

If somebody knows the right answer, please share with me... :)

Cheers!
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-02-19, 16:11:31
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Generally you should not put colored map in reflection slot on anything that is not metal. In fact, leather material barely needs reflection component to be mapped at all. You'd rather play with glossiness and bump.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-02-19, 17:07:53
Reply #3

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Generally you should not put colored map in reflection slot on anything that is not metal. In fact, leather material barely needs reflection component to be mapped at all. You'd rather play with glossiness and bump.

I see, and I have learned same like you, but here...I have found this information:
"So the main difference between metals and non metals are...

Non metals
        tend to have a lower IOR (hence, more diffuse reflection and less specular reflection)
        the color of the reflection is the same as the thing its reflecting
    Metals
        tend to have a higher IOR (hence, more specular and less diffuse)
        can have reflections that are tinted by the color of the metal."

The side where i found this is
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/reflection_highlight/reflection_highlight.htm

Well, this was the pont which gave me some idea about the reflecting. For me the gray shades in the reflection map, make me an unrealistic results, becuse in the nature there is no just gray or white or black reflections. But if I try to make reflection with the main color and that color's shades make me better result...? I have tried in VRay, and the reflection was better for my eyes...

Maybe I'm wrong, but did you tried ever the colored reflections?

Thanks!

2014-02-20, 09:31:29
Reply #4

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi Fbonacchi

Hi I think you misunderstood Neil Blevins explanation.

"Non metalic materials:  the color of the reflection is the same as the thing its reflecting"
With "thing" he is refering to light sources or something which is in the neigbourhood of the material you are making. And not the diffuse color of the material itself. So that's why you should use a grey bitmap/color in this case (leather material) in the glosiness slot.

"Metalic materials: can have reflections that are tinted by the color of the metal"
This mean that the diffuse color of the metal material is influencing the reflection.

Nevertherless, I think the leather I made is missing some depth, I couldn't resolve it with bump and displacement (together with the Miw Map) is not working.
About the vignetting, maybe it is to much, but I like it.

2014-02-20, 15:00:34
Reply #5

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hi Fbonacchi

Hi I think you misunderstood Neil Blevins explanation.

"Non metalic materials:  the color of the reflection is the same as the thing its reflecting"
With "thing" he is refering to light sources or something which is in the neigbourhood of the material you are making. And not the diffuse color of the material itself. So that's why you should use a grey bitmap/color in this case (leather material) in the glosiness slot.

"Metalic materials: can have reflections that are tinted by the color of the metal"
This mean that the diffuse color of the metal material is influencing the reflection.

Nevertherless, I think the leather I made is missing some depth, I couldn't resolve it with bump and displacement (together with the Miw Map) is not working.
About the vignetting, maybe it is to much, but I like it.

Hey belly,

I think your right, but when I thought about the materials, only in the reflection with black and white.
And after if I push to midline color of diffuse map, what's should I get for the results.

I'm testing now, and I will share with the forum! ;)

Cheers!

2014-02-20, 15:08:05
Reply #6

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi Fibonacchi

great, I am looking forward to your results.

regards

2014-02-20, 15:36:00
Reply #7

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hi Fibonacchi

great, I am looking forward to your results.

regards

I posted already in the MATERIALS,

http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2782.0.html

here...if you want to talk about the materials.

I just started for the ideas and conversation about the one of the most important side of CG.

Cheers! :)

2014-02-25, 13:06:06
Reply #8

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Here is an update.

I have used the daily builds.
This time Displacement worked fine :-)

2014-02-25, 23:46:58
Reply #9

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

That's some perfect studio setup you got there, great lighting and shading.

Did you desaturated the image or is it just how it came out of the renderer?

2014-02-26, 09:07:26
Reply #10

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
I had to do some post (see Raw render)
The hard bit is to get the leather black. It is possible in Corona, but then I have to cranck the contrast in corona way up.
Anyone else a different solution?

2014-10-08, 19:12:45
Reply #11

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi

Today I enhanced my Grow Fx skills.
No tonemapping with Corona, it was done with Arion Fx for Ps.