Author Topic: Chris´ Gallery - animations | stills  (Read 30349 times)

2013-07-31, 09:57:58

Esperamus

• Active Users
  • 3D artist | animator | vfx td | concept dev
    • View Profile
Hi!

I just want to start with this kitchen scene that was rendered with VRay before.
It was nearly not possible to get a flickerfree sequence rendered with acceptable rendertimes because of the complete indirect lighting.

Than the scene was converted and overworked...
CORORNA delivered the pictures (1760x990px) in around 80min for each frame on dual HEXAcores 2,4GHz machines.

While playing with settings and shaders I did not recognize any 3dsmax crashes or other instability. That convinced me to keep an eye on it in future.
In my opinion the light just looks great and the rendertime is really good.

Hopefully CORONA survived in this ocean of render solutions...

h.264 sequence: http://www.sawade-meyer.com/xtra/corona/KITCHEN_classicTIME_v20e_csm.mp4

Critics are welcome.... sometimes ;-)
« Last Edit: 2013-09-05, 09:48:18 by Esperamus »

2013-07-31, 10:24:12
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I see some flickering in the animation (which is pretty unusual with corona). You should pre-render and save the HDCache, that will fix any flickering issues :)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-07-31, 10:46:16
Reply #2

Esperamus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, there ist still a little bit flickering. In my opinion not that much that it hurts.

The precalc HDcache suggestion is not the way I want to go because it should work also with scenes that do not only have a camera flight and I hate precalc.

And without tweaking the HDsolver a lot it is flickering like hell - so I can not understand that it should be unusual with corona...
This scene is very different to direct light situation.

2013-07-31, 11:45:51
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It's in a kind "unusual" since most of the people here are doing archviz stuff (and I've not seen many animations here) without any moving parts (like in your video). Furthermore, Corona does not (anymore) have any biased primary engine, so it's kind of seldom to see direct flickering (like irr. map in vray). Your flickering is obviously coming from HDCache flickering which is easily solvable with prerendering - yes i know you don't like it... ;)
Funfact by the way: I'm using a Lightcache - brute force method (prerendered LC) with Vray here for ~80 shots of a feature film which is working nearly perfect with animated objects :P . LC is prerenderd without characters but then later used as secondaries for the brute force Character passes. Sure, there are some little drawbacks but it's a very economic solution.

2013-07-31, 12:44:29
Reply #4

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see some flickering in the animation (which is pretty unusual with corona). You should pre-render and save the HDCache, that will fix any flickering issues :)

How does one do this pre render, do you have steps i can follow?
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2013-07-31, 12:46:40
Reply #5

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile

CORORNA delivered the pictures (1760x990px) in around 80min on dual HEXAcores 2,4GHz machines.

WOW! What was the render time per frame and what settings did you use?

2013-07-31, 12:55:38
Reply #6

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

How does one do this pre render, do you have steps i can follow?

You only have to render 1 frame with "save sec. GI" checkbox in the Global illumination settings turned on. After that uncheck the save and check the load checkbox and render your animation ;) Unless you're really doing long wide flythrough animations 1 frame will work (since the HDCache bounces will reach most of the space in short to medium distances)

2013-07-31, 13:05:02
Reply #7

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So there is no need to render an entire animation prepass like light cache in vray?

does that mean my Gi solution from frame 1 will still be relevant when i reach 200 even though im in a different part of the house?

2013-07-31, 13:14:07
Reply #8

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm sorry for spamming in this thread (this tech info should not belong here, but it's too late anyways).

So there is no need to render an entire animation prepass like light cache in vray?

does that mean my Gi solution from frame 1 will still be relevant when i reach 200 even though im in a different part of the house?

The problem is... you have no choice (yet) you can only use 1 frame atm. Keymaster will have to add a more sophisticated method yet. The thing is: It will work if you don't move too far away or around too many corners. The HdCache / Lightcache works in a way that it bounces in the scene and will write enough information for most of the areas which can be reached by 1 or 2 bounces (Keymaster will have to clarify that a bit more i guess). So if you render the HDCache in the basement and animate your camera to the 10th floor it surely will not work - that's where we need a better solution yet.

2013-07-31, 14:02:13
Reply #9

Esperamus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, I add this small "each frame" info.
The 80min are per frame.
Our latest dual hexas just need around 50 min.

This was a try and I know that it would be much easier to use a precalc...
But with these settings I do not need a precalc and it wouldnot matter if objects and lights move or change...

2013-08-01, 11:57:50
Reply #10

Jetboy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in fact, the bookshelf on the lft still has a flick in the bottom. so, smthng is wrong here.

2013-08-02, 10:32:27
Reply #11

Esperamus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to convert a caterpillar anim with forest pack distributed plants to CORONA.

Have I got to use R4 of FP?
My older 3.8 seems not to work...

The reference is the nearly finished VRay scene

After playing around with CORONA...

A sequence rendering over night was done with around 40 min per frame in nearly fullHD res.

But of course it is still far away from my VRay scene setup. Just WIP...

2013-08-02, 11:40:34
Reply #12

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

2013-08-02, 12:52:45
Reply #13

Esperamus

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-08-02, 18:15:06
Reply #14

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
release 4 of ForestPack...

Oh, yes, right... sorry... 

You should always use most recent version of FP or Multiscatter. They should work :) FP works only as a scatterer though.