Author Topic: Daily builds version 2  (Read 136377 times)

2018-03-08, 20:26:46
Reply #330

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Apologize in advance for my stupid question: since we have, thanks to DeadClown's efforts, a great converter, what's the point of getting Corona to render VRay stuff ?
+1
I don't understand why would anyone need a vray light

2018-03-08, 20:54:34
Reply #331

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got this error during installation of latest daily

Failed to delete file C:\Program Files\Corona\materials\previews\e9f96b8a8594dbdd5cedb8a49fcdfd02228a37d52f867be18f72fab8c2ab.jpg
Failed to delete directory C:\Program Files\Corona\materials\previews\
Failed to delete directory C:\Program Files\Corona\materials\
Operation result: failed

The file e9f96b8a8594dbdd5cedb8a49fcdfd02228a37d52f867be18f72fab8c2ab is there.

(UAC is disabled)

Edit: i've run the installer with Admin rights and no error appeared.
« Last Edit: 2018-03-09, 15:17:55 by cgiout »

2018-03-08, 22:17:24
Reply #332

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Apologize in advance for my stupid question: since we have, thanks to DeadClown's efforts, a great converter, what's the point of getting Corona to render VRay stuff ?

The same question comes to my mind. I'd have preferred to see some long-term bug fix (environment overrides, masks visible in reflect/refract etc..) rather than Vray compatibility for now.

Same here

2018-03-09, 02:24:38
Reply #333

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio

Hi,

imho .. it could be.. dev team is trying to handle the conversion internally which automatically will remove the need of converter script.

2018-03-09, 09:30:38
Reply #334

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Hi,

The same question comes to my mind. I'd have preferred to see some long-term bug fix (environment overrides, masks visible in reflect/refract etc..) rather than Vray compatibility for now.
Ah ! thanks Fluss, I feel both less lonely and less stupid :)
From my point of view, integration of things like CryptoMatte or tools like a light lister / cameras lister should be of higher priority, just to say a few.
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-03-09, 09:31:23
Reply #335

NicolasC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

+1
I don't understand why would anyone need a vray light
Yup. You want to use VRay lights ? then render with VRay ! ;)
Nicolas Caplat

2018-03-09, 13:51:40
Reply #336

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
My only hope for vray light integration was that we could probably get dome light supported. And have 2-4 domes with various hdris, rendered at once, with some ok render time penalty, but then the ability to use lightmix to get respectively 2-4 moods from one render in one go. I know you can do it already in some way, but it's kinda fakery to me.

Tried the latest daily, domes are not yet supported.

2018-03-09, 14:01:21
Reply #337

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
One reason is to be able to freely switch between V-Ray and Corona. So you download one scene and you can open it with both V-Ray and Corona. Imagine your client/boss sends you a scene made in Vray and you only have Corona (or the other way round).
Another reason is that the converter has to be updated continuously by Martin to be usable. With the native support, everything would be done in-house.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-09, 14:47:12
Reply #338

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
And, if we can indeed get it working, removing the need to have V-Ray installed - the converter has to have it installed, at least in trial mode, but we are hoping that will not be necessary for rendering direct in this way. As noted earlier, that is happening with the V-Ray lights so far (I was able to render the supported V-Ray lights using DR on Workstation with V-Ray installed, while nodes did not have V-Ray installed, and it worked no problem) - whether the same is possible with materials remains to be seen, but it is what we'd like to get to.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-03-09, 15:17:09
Reply #339

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If i remember right VRScans were into trello roadmap but now they have been removed.
Are they already included into Vray Materials?

2018-03-09, 15:20:36
Reply #340

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If i remember right VRScans were into trello roadmap but now they have been removed.

Already discussed by the devs in this thread :) https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17973.msg122376#msg122376 - here's the quote:

"
VRscans unfortunately won't make it to v2, they have already been removed from Trello roadmap some time ago.

VRayLight has already been released in latest daily.

We are currently also working on support for VRayMtl which should appear in dailies soon. We already got it working with V-Ray installed and we just figuring a way to make it working without V-Ray.

Obviously full support for VRayLight and VRayMtl is quite a complex task so currently we implement only a subset of their functionality. Current plan is to support the same features which are supported by CoronaConverter script and then implement additional functionality if/when needed.
"

2018-03-09, 15:24:04
Reply #341

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Already discussed by the devs in this thread :) https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17973.msg122376#msg122376 - here's the quote:

"
VRscans unfortunately won't make it to v2, they have already been removed from Trello roadmap some time ago.

VRayLight has already been released in latest daily.

We are currently also working on support for VRayMtl which should appear in dailies soon. We already got it working with V-Ray installed and we just figuring a way to make it working without V-Ray.

Obviously full support for VRayLight and VRayMtl is quite a complex task so currently we implement only a subset of their functionality. Current plan is to support the same features which are supported by CoronaConverter script and then implement additional functionality if/when needed.
"

Oh ok, missed.

2018-03-09, 16:12:36
Reply #342

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another reason is that the converter has to be updated continuously by Martin to be usable. With the native support, everything would be done in-house.
But converter support not only vray engine -_-
it still will be needed.

Most people here escape from vray and i am doubt anyone will want to use it again after corona. Also this will produce more bugs and complains from novices.
This is useless work for your coders imho

2018-03-09, 17:25:33
Reply #343

NicolasC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Most people here escape from vray and i am doubt anyone will want to use it again after corona. Also this will produce more bugs and complains from novices.
This is useless work for your coders imho
Agreed. But I suspect it's part of the deal between Chaos Groups and Render Legion, or at least, one of the consequences. Do Chaos guys plans to propose the same thing on their side, providing VRay support for Corona lights and materials ? :P
TBH, I'm a bit "sad" to know it's a complex task for you guys, meaning you spend much time on it instead on other things greatly waited by the Corona community. Let's just hope, like pointed by Sprayer above, that this won't introduce bugs ... time will tell !

Regards.
Nicolas Caplat

2018-03-09, 18:04:33
Reply #344

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Do Chaos guys plans to propose the same thing on their side, providing VRay support for Corona lights and materials ? :P

As mentioned back as far back as the Merger announcement at https://corona-renderer.com/blog/new-horizons-plans-for-2017-and-beyond/

"Very soon we will introduce compatibility between each other’s assets. You will be able to use V-Ray proxies, materials and lights in Corona, and vice versa. Our goal is to remove or greatly reduce the need for converters, so that you will be able to switch between engines based on your needs with respect to the project you are working on."

So the plan is for it to work both ways, load a scene from either engine into either engine and be able to get results without conversion.