Author Topic: Best vegetation pack for corona  (Read 28186 times)

2016-04-27, 11:06:17

micmac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, i'm looking for buying a vegetation pack for my renders. Do you have any ideas?
I try evermotion but they are not corona ready and colors are very saturated...
Can you tell me which library is the best?
Thanks!

2016-04-27, 11:24:17
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm not judging the quality, but there is also this website:
http://www.maxtree.org/
And Corona customers are provided with a discount coupon for this shop.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-27, 12:08:07
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Got these and really like them:
http://www.vizpark.com/shop/plants-complete/
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-04-27, 13:14:35
Reply #3

darrentomkins

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Forest Pack with HQ plants work really well using the Corona MTL Converter once placed.

2016-04-27, 13:27:09
Reply #4

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Forest Pack with HQ plants work really well using the Corona MTL Converter once placed.

Dont the forest pack plants come ready for corona anyway without use of the converter? I thought they did anyway...

2016-04-27, 18:08:30
Reply #5

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Dont the forest pack plants come ready for corona anyway without use of the converter? I thought they did anyway...
yes, they also come with corona materials now - but I wouldn't be so sure the converter wasn't involved in the process :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-04-27, 18:49:30
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I try evermotion but they are not corona ready and colors are very saturated...

The most recent (the one not setup for Corona) is the only tree collection on market that is starting to resemble actual trees. But you are right, the fucking materials :- ( I don't know what universe  they come from.... just batch-desaturate the texture folder :- )

Max tree does not currently sell individual trees anymore (or I don't see them since they revamped website), but those were quite OK (or good) looking (and finally, a someone who understands how to do leaves (geo+opacity at same time, never only either!). Or do you guys mean the Volume 02 ?

HQ is disgusting, top level 1995 cylinder look. Wrong on every single way.

Bertrand has few nice trees on his Turbosquid. I wish he could sell his former Onyx trees, which were far superior, but alas, shitty Onyx abandonware licence. (should just ignore it, such licence is hardly legal in Europe anyway).

Vizpark is passable, but they don't drop me on my ass with realism.

I am super-sad about this situation, it's 2016 and we still can't get nice trees. The only capable generator (GrowFx) is utterly user-non-friendly in every way possible and it's not even true vegetation generator, it has none of the algorithmic botany stuff inside, it's just nodal curve editor... This is age of start-ups, someone should finally do something about this, there is definitely a place on market for this. (for new Onyx-like software)
« Last Edit: 2016-04-27, 18:53:29 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-27, 18:50:54
Reply #7

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As already maru said maxtree, And if you need something special try out Speed Tree
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2016-04-28, 08:00:44
Reply #8

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am unsure about the quality but has anybody ever tried out the PlantFactory software
http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/

Whenever I visit the website I think it looks promising, but I am not 100% willing to join and learn this vue/Terragen/PLFactory- Universe.
I am not even sure if it is the " children´s version" for people like me who are way too stupid for growFX... So don´t grumble if it is cheap stuff :-)

Evermotion has this Corona Greenery pack and those 3d scanned trees/trunks in another bundle. Are they well done and just a question of over sturated colors
or generally medium quality, only?

2016-04-28, 09:03:32
Reply #9

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am unsure about the quality but has anybody ever tried out the PlantFactory software
http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/

Whenever I visit the website I think it looks promising, but I am not 100% willing to join and learn this vue/Terragen/PLFactory- Universe.
I am not even sure if it is the " children´s version" for people like me who are way too stupid for growFX... So don´t grumble if it is cheap stuff :-)

Evermotion has this Corona Greenery pack and those 3d scanned trees/trunks in another bundle. Are they well done and just a question of over sturated colors
or generally medium quality, only?

This plantfactory thing looks very similar to speedtree... Seems cheaper though.

2016-04-28, 09:52:32
Reply #10

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This plantfactory thing looks very similar to speedtree... Seems cheaper though.

...and the conclusion iiiiiiiiis ?!

Cheaper in terms of less money or quality, speedtree seems quite common and established, so sorry don´t get the clue.

2016-04-28, 11:45:25
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Plant Factory is not "children version" of SpeedTree :- ) It's actually far more advanced, like 10times. Which is also reason why nobody uses it.

It has quite complex nodal approach and it will take you lot of time to both master and use it. Then, you can create pretty much anything with it. Still, be warned, just like SpeedTree, the workflow is more optimized towards billboard meshes as final leaves step. It's easier to get classic "hero" trees with GrowFx.

Regarding those two packages with Evermotion, I think you can just browse through .pdfs and see the one for Corona is just repackaged old stuff, and ugly. The newest one, is quite very nice, just without Corona mats (Corona convert plugin does poor job with 2sided mat, be warned) and shitty oversaturated textures. But if I was gonna do a project now, I would probably buy those and do corrections myself.

But consensus is the Maxtree is nice as well.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-04-28, 16:15:08
Reply #12

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj,

it appears, I was totally wrong, matching the Plant Factory Website and especially the Videoloop running all the time, everything gives the impression of being quite easy to use with some nice mmhhh nice childish icons (which are much better then other Win32/DOS "feel bad" interfaces, many other programms offer :-)
I was not aware about the range of capabilites, think I have to try out the trial version because I always wanted to create some alpine flowers by photos/textures I made in Tirol.

It is funny, what you wrote about the Evermotion Corona-Greenery Bundle because it was my first supposition aswell, when it came out... why did they take so long, just for using the converter and leaving it as it comes out. (I think with Forest Pack it is really the same, but they forgot to fix the normal maps...)

But many thanks for your personal review, that was something, which always intested me.

2016-04-28, 16:54:46
Reply #13

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Has anyone here tried the The Grove?

https://www.thegrove3d.com/

Sounds really interesting.
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2016-04-28, 17:12:21
Reply #14

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Those close-up leaves geometry from the video looked very good.

EDIT : hmm, twigs with high quality leafs sold separately, and not expensive.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-28, 17:15:42 by sebastian___ »

2016-04-28, 21:01:59
Reply #15

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A while ago I contacted the guy from Maxtree and let him look at the vegetation shader Juraj posted. He then remade the shading for all the leaves for a better Corona intergration and they are way better now than they were. So if you own them you should be able to download the improved ones. 

2016-04-28, 23:07:44
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Duh, this looks so cool ! That's actually what I always thought it should look like. Damn amazing.

Bit sad it is a primarily Blender integration from which you must export it.... why Blender ?

2016-04-29, 07:16:34
Reply #17

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

...and the conclusion iiiiiiiiis ?!

Cheaper in terms of less money or quality, speedtree seems quite common and established, so sorry don´t get the clue.

cheaper as it costs less.
But if it's true that it is even more difficult to hande than speedtree then screw it. I got to work in past with an older version of speedtree and I didn't like that.

2016-04-29, 07:28:09
Reply #18

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This looks quite good, probably gonna get this myself. Thanks for the tip.

2016-04-29, 08:37:13
Reply #19

sht

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Looks nice!
Anyone tested it already?

2016-04-29, 10:06:03
Reply #20

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Duh, this looks so cool ! That's actually what I always thought it should look like. Damn amazing.

Bit sad it is a primarily Blender integration from which you must export it.... why Blender ?

Because he's a Blender guy from the early beginning and his primary 3D application. I wonder if it's selling o.k since a lot of people are let down by the fact that you have to buy it and Blender is a free open source application. It seems that the tools are there to also intergrate it as a plugin for other apps so who knows... I'll ask him if I see him again since he lives in the same city as I do.

2016-04-29, 10:14:45
Reply #21

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

Because he's a Blender guy from the early beginning and his primary 3D application. I wonder if it's selling o.k since a lot of people are let down by the fact that you have to buy it and Blender is a free open source application. It seems that the tools are there to also intergrate it as a plugin for other apps so who knows... I'll ask him if I see him again since he lives in the same city as I do.

Hello Leocv thanks for bringing this plugin to our attention.
Hi Fellazb keep us updated!

« Last Edit: 2016-04-29, 10:19:04 by belly »

2016-04-29, 11:51:03
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

We need to throw some money on this guy...if someone deserves it finally, it's him.

2016-04-29, 12:16:58
Reply #23

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for suggesting The Grove.
I just found this conference talk by the developer:

Really interesting approach.

2016-04-29, 14:02:48
Reply #24

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I watched a couple of those Grove videos a while ago.

It really is quite an amazing tree generator, but there is a downside, you have to create your own branches, or as they call them seeds.
So you model a stem with leaves and nuts or whatever you like and it puts them over the tree. They do have a bunch of them that come with the plugin.

Yes would love to see a 3dsmax version.

2016-04-29, 14:09:20
Reply #25

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Thank you for sharing the video, ktulu!
Great to know more about The Grove.
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2016-05-01, 16:53:02
Reply #26

darrentomkins

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have I missed something but i haven't seen anyone comment on Laubwerk - good trees from a distance and nice options with age and season but not the greatest close up. Also too saturated. Then there is GrowFX which needs a bit of work with regards to inverting the opacity map and actually adding it to the map slot, then also using the converter and finally scaling it up but after all htat it actually is really good!

2016-05-01, 20:04:38
Reply #27

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me Maxtree + growFX.
Vizpark has some good and some really bad models. Maxtree (apart from some saturation/IOR/gamma issues) is the best IMHO.

But the grove looks promissing!

2016-05-01, 20:27:09
Reply #28

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So, does anyone actually tried Grove or are you affraid of Blender? :] Shame they don't offer a trial version - wouldn't mind to play with it for a while.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-05-01, 20:29:02
Reply #29

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am afraid of using Blender (I have seizure just just looking at the UI), but I guess I'll bite the bullet for this. It seems everything I ever wished in tree app.

2016-05-01, 21:07:03
Reply #30

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I admit. I am afraid.

p.s. I emailed the author, asking if he is willing to create a 3ds max version.

2016-05-02, 12:01:22
Reply #31

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did the same, while also pointing him to this thread.

His answer below:
Thanks for letting me know there is interest from 3ds Max users. I've given a lot of thought to creating plugins for other software and it would sure be great. And 3ds Max is a logical choice for a tool aimed at architectural/landscape architecture. I actually created a 3ds Max plugin about 15 years ago, nothing to do with trees though... The thing is that I know too well how much time it takes to code a plugin properly, whether for blender or 3ds Max. Even if the functionality side is done. Let alone to update multiple plugins. So if I'm doing this, I need a lot of time for it.

2016-05-02, 12:36:45
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I am afraid of using Blender (I have seizure just just looking at the UI), but I guess I'll bite the bullet for this. It seems everything I ever wished in tree app.

In that case you'd better start bumping this feature request: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,8833.0.html as i don't think that it will be pleasant experience to try distribute millions of leaves with max's native scatterer :]

2016-05-02, 12:42:22
Reply #33

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Outside of appearing stupid... is double instancing possible ? If your branches are instanced (this is btw the approach Alex Roman took as well if you read his book), can you then instance the whole "group" without some issues (3dsMax or rendering side) ? Or scatter it ?

Most trees on market are single-mesh, but that is exactly why they don't look like trees at all. You can't make sub 10-milion poly tree that looks like tree from anywhere else than aerial view.

2016-05-02, 17:59:27
Reply #34

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
Very interesting topic!

So I decited to give TheGrove a try. Together with the black alder twig.
I didn't dig deep into the parameters. (I'm also bit afraid of blender's UI)

So I just used a alder preset and hit the grow-button several times.
Here is the first result.

(I don't put any work in the uvs and bark textures, as you probably can see. ;) )

2016-05-02, 20:44:07
Reply #35

micmac

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-05-03, 11:10:53
Reply #36

micmac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru says that Corona customers are provided with a discount coupon for Mawtree shop. Where can i find those coupon?

2016-05-03, 11:46:42
Reply #37

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Try to contact Corona support: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

2016-05-03, 11:52:55
Reply #38

pressenter

• Active Users
  • PressEnter Design
    • View Profile
    • PressEnter Design
micmac - I think you should've received your discount code with your "Discounts email" when you bought Corona.

In regards to a best vegetation pack I've always enjoyed the iCube pack, tho I'm not sure how they relate to reality. The fir and pine trees packs look great in a cgi tho. Right now if I'd be investing in anything it would be my own time to learn growfx, especially as it is so easy to use in animation as well.

Best
Simon

2016-05-05, 11:20:54
Reply #39

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we have the maxtree packs though after using maxtree volume 1 the grasses, I've found they dont import well into scenes. They are very very dark compared to their example renders. I contacted them and checked out their sample scene. It seems they are rendered over exposed to look like that.

Anyone else used these grasses? any tips for adjusting the materials?