Author Topic: Casa Spodsbjerg  (Read 42555 times)

2014-11-18, 20:19:47
Reply #30

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Some good light !

Since I've seen the original hundreds time, I have to call you out on lazy texturing :- )

When you call someone "lazy" you dont give him any chance to improve. You insult him. You insult his time that he spents, his effort, everything.

Except that I didn't. You created this whole absurd connection by yourself and I am honestly more and more surprised by your further posts.

You read far too much into the concept of "lazy texturing" which does refer to texturing, and doesn't describe the person. It is not in any way personal attack, and the fact, that this form, is something that you consider impolite out of imagined connection, bothers me a bit. I do quite dislike the overly childish nature of sugarcoating any critique in order to make it plausible for people to stomach. This is something that perhaps works in Kindergarten but doesn't in reality. I hold same attitude towards it for more than 10 years, I had not changed and I still answer politely to other's critique (or ignore it).

The issue with your super positive approach "if you improve your textures here and there your work will achieve the highest level" is that it gives false idea of possible outcome, while critique should pertain to current reality, otherwise it adds motivation on top,
but that can't be requirement of correct critique, as it may hinder the true weight behind critique's importance.

Sure we live in oversensitive society where we dumb down everything to not hurt other's feeling but I'll keep to my honesty. Offence is NEVER on side of offender (even though it might perfectly be his intention), but on the side of offended, that's not something up to discussion, that's a pure fact. Sure, I could take that into account, but I can't be hold responsible for that.

I feel like there is almost mythical misconception about necessity of "constructive critique" and what it entails. Neither is supportive construction necessary, it doesn't need to hold up positive tone. But that really falls on fact that you would even be offended by light term such as "lazy texturing" and connect personally into critique. We're after all, criticizing the work, not the people behind, and these connections, are always in mind of beholder.

I don't feel we're on the same wave and I guess it comes to different outlook on world. I can assure you, I am considered a good and very patient teacher ( Veronika and I did taught a short college class on 3D), neither do I lack overly empathy (although to certain level I am considered a cold person) but that still has no connection to all this unnecessary discussion.

but Ι can't criticize your bad lighting setup when in an another thread of mine my texturing sucks.

This is complete fallacy, I don't even know how you can support such argument. This is completely nonsense. I am done.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-18, 23:42:41
Reply #31

Lucas3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visual Workshop3D
Here is the exterior shot. Worked some more on the textures. Everything is 3d mesh, trees and shrubs made using GrowFX (need to improve my skills with this very cool plugin).
Let me know your thoughts. As for the falling perspective, I made it on purpose, the photo I was inspiring myself on was a bit off too ;)

« Last Edit: 2014-11-18, 23:55:40 by Lucas3d »
VW3d.pl

2014-11-18, 23:53:43
Reply #32

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-11-19, 00:43:09
Reply #33

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here is the exterior shot. Worked some more on the textures. Everything is 3d mesh, trees and shrubs made using GrowFX (need to improve my skills with this very cool plugin).
Let me know your thoughts. As for the falling perspective, I made it on purpose, the photo I was inspiring myself on was a bit off too ;)

That's the way to end that pointless dispute! Superb shot. Should i see it in another context, i would easily mistake it for photo.

Can i ask what tool was used for rock generation?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-11-19, 00:56:31
Reply #34

demmi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great photo i mean.. image.. damn render LOL
Lucas one thing i think you should use is camera correction to make the vertical lines paralel it would improve the photographic quality of the image and as pointed above i would avoid the blur on rocks textures
can u tell me how u did the lighting? just HDRI?
behance.com/demmi
- active Corona User

2014-11-19, 07:43:04
Reply #35

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
I know this is pointeless but I have to answer.

Juraj, I made you on purpose a negative critique and you come back to me  with a book of insults and irony. "Don't project your insecurities ", "feel free to write childish posts" , "Pretty obvious but I guess you have issue with me"...but as you said "Reading comprehension, don't get emotional.."

When you call someone "lazy" you dont give him any chance to improve. You insult him. You insult his time that he spents, his effort, everything. It's a whole different meaning to say "lazy texturing" (with a smile at the end- really this not childish when you want to play it solemn uh?) and different to say "if you improve your textures here and there your work will achieve the highest level". I dont know you in person but I suspect that you teach (I saw some nifty video tutorials) probably youngers than you, so you should be very, very very carefull about the way you express your critiques and the words you use. It is very sad to read "I don't care about other people's emotions and feeling.". Cg is Art and Art has to deal with feelings.
I agree that Corona forum as the other forums are places to exchange opinions as far as we are not playing the teacher or the cg industry pundits. If you are a true master, your work will speak for you.

I called you "low profile guy" because I can recall in my memory some of your old forum answers which were very polite after hard critiques. Dont be insulted, it's a compliment.

Fabioazevedo, I agree with you that you don't have to present a"perfect" work to be able to criticize other's but Ι can't criticize your bad lighting setup when in an another thread of mine my texturing sucks.

Once again I apologize to Lucas about the offtopic.
From my side this stops here.

Regards
Tolis

I am totally agree with Tolis.

2014-11-19, 08:42:54
Reply #36

thefourthwall

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's the way to end that pointless dispute! Superb shot. Should i see it in another context, i would easily mistake it for photo.
+1

I noticed too the blurriness in some rocks before I read the comments. Maybe you could add some dead seaweeds, seashells..just a touch!

Regards
Tolis

2014-11-19, 09:12:07
Reply #37

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think that may actually be texture filtering problem. Try to set blur amount to very low value on those bitmaps for rocks, like 0.01. Or try to completely disable filtering by setting filter to none in bitmap. If it's really a texture filtering issue, then this should help a lot :)

2014-11-19, 09:37:54
Reply #38

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Great last render Lucas !
Though, too, that it was a photo when I saw it on Béhance... it's amazing, and really really natural.
I don't agree with demni, I think the verticals are right and not exaggerated; the beach is much lower than the house, and the view as it is, is not disturbing.
Congrats again.
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2014-11-19, 15:15:40
Reply #39

Lucas3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visual Workshop3D
Wow guys ! thank you for the kind words and good hints on how to improve the picture.

romullus : Glad you have said it ! :) Thank you ! I used simple box primitive and than added some more geometry and displacement mesh modifiers to get the low and high detail on the mesh. I will put the stones for download later Today.

demmi : haha Thanks ! I found it kinda cool that it is a bit off ;) I've adjusted the textures and 3/4 of them were on blur 1.0... so my bad :)

Tolis : Yea... the textures were blurry and I've corrected it now, Maybe in the next one, I would need to make a good research on how does it look like :)

Rawalanche : Thank you ! It was exactly that!

RolandB : Thank you ! Hope the next one will be as good as this one ... the least :)
VW3d.pl

2014-11-19, 15:29:55
Reply #40

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quick one.

Did you stack all those rocks by hand? (if so thats some serious craftmanship).
Kudos!. Is a lot harder to get a nice exterior in Corona than interiors and this one looks great to me.

I belive there are somewhere in the UI of Corona a magic button that disables filtering if not in max.
Its in development and experimental tab in render settings. By default  the texmap filtering is "all but opacity"... there are discussions around here if changing filtering adds render time or not.
Maybe some guys here can answer if there is an issue with that.

« Last Edit: 2014-11-19, 16:02:35 by borisquezadaa »
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-11-19, 15:57:49
Reply #41

Lucas3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visual Workshop3D
thank you borisquezadaa!
yes I did ... it was a pain  but worth the effort :D
Thank you, it was a challenge after switching from vray...

OK ! I need to check the filtering and make a couple of test renders.
VW3d.pl

2014-11-19, 17:24:40
Reply #42

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that may actually be texture filtering problem. Try to set blur amount to very low value on those bitmaps for rocks, like 0.01. Or try to completely disable filtering by setting filter to none in bitmap. If it's really a texture filtering issue, then this should help a lot :)
Before I start. Amazing exterior. I've got 3d envy ;) One thing is the trunk of the tree is maybe a little bit out of scale with the height. Or maybe it's the primary branches are a little too large in relation to the trunk.

On the note of filtering: BB says on this replay that he doesn't filter any maps on extreme close ups for any maps. See here: http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2012/04/15/materialism-1/comment-page-2/#comment-18037

I've also seen somewhere that he always sets his bumps as 0.3 blur and .001 offset but for the life of me I cannot find that.

Although I've found a piece here saying that 0.3 to 0.6 blur for bump with an offset value greater than 0.0 achieves good results.

For me .3 and .001 respectively work the best most of the time.

Thumbs up Lucas3d!

EDIT: Maybe this would be the right time to ask for a blurbyobjectdistance override function in the corona material slot or render dialog. If it's even possible to do this by object and not on a per bitmap basis.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-19, 17:35:46 by 3dwannab »

2014-11-19, 18:58:31
Reply #43

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
Hi, i have to say it again - it's awesome work:) I love materials and lighting:) Exterior rendering looks very,very photorealistic (interiors look real too, but exteriors in Corona are harder for me - that reason way i'm talking about great exterior lighting in this project ).
Congratulations, greetings from max3d.pl :)

2014-11-19, 20:06:40
Reply #44

Lucas3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visual Workshop3D
3dwannab : Thank you ! this makes my day ! Yes I'm not that good in GrowFX yet ... learning it still. Hope to get some good results soon.
Yes I've seen the BB's replay, I will try to implement those parameters in the future.

hrisek :  thank you very much ! :D yeah it was a challenge for me after switching from the other rendering engine ;)
VW3d.pl