Author Topic: Caustics implementation in VFB  (Read 3655 times)

2019-07-16, 13:11:11

jrgby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am loving the new caustics, but it would be even better if we could toggle the effect on/off in VFB, in the same manner as Bloom&Glare.

Currently I find it more practical to set caustics to render only in element because it can often produce splotches/fireflys that need a lot longer to resolve. This means then opening in photoshop to add the caustics, which is yet another step.

In addition, being able to adjust it in the LightMix panel along with other light sources would make sense.

Hope that's all clear.

John

2019-07-16, 15:03:58
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this is another one of those "not impossible" feature requests. :)
So the easiest way to "split" caustics from the rest of the image would be probably to have them as a separate LightMix element, right? But what if we have multiple lights in the scene, each casting its own set of caustics? You would have to control the caustics effect globally (on/off) and additionally for each separate light, which gets really complicated.
I'm not saying this will never happen, but definitely can't tell when we could expect it.

Currently you can enable the "Only in caustics element" checkbox and have beauty and caustics separately. Then you can composite them in post.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-16, 15:22:51
Reply #2

jrgby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But what if we have multiple lights in the scene, each casting its own set of caustics? You would have to control the caustics effect globally (on/off) and additionally for each separate light, which gets really complicated. 
Good point. I guess having a check box in the LightSelect element to include caustics, in the same way that you can "Include Environment Light" would be one way to do it. That way the user can set up as simple or complicated as they want.

Even just controlling it globally I think would be a useful improvement.

Currently you can enable the "Only in caustics element" checkbox and have beauty and caustics separately. Then you can composite them in post.
Yep, this is what I do most of the time. However, if given the opportunity to do all my post work in the corona VFB then I will!