Author Topic: Normal map issue in 3dsMax 2018  (Read 1520 times)

2018-02-20, 16:51:26

diffuus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am switching from 3dsMax 2017 to 2018 and have problems with the "normal map incorrect gamma" issue:

When I start a new drawing in 2018 and then merge an asset (error free) saved in 2017, I get the "normal map incorrect gamma" warning on some objects. Running the Corona Convertor to fix the problem doesn't help.
This happens only when I merge the 2017 scene in a new 2018 scene.
When I open the asset scene directly in 2018, there is no problem.
When I open a random 2017 scene (even an new empty one) in 2018 and then merge that same asset, there is no problem either.

The gamma setting in the "preferences" are the same in both versions of 3dsMax.
I don't know where else to look?

2018-02-20, 18:03:43
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Well, you need to use the CoronaNormal map. So you plug your normal map into the CoronaNormal map and then you plug that into the CoronaMTL bump slot. I think you already know that though, heh.

What you should also tick is the "Add gamma to input" checkbox in the CoronaNormal map. That'll solve your issue.

I have no idea why it would pop up when merging assets though.

Hopefully this post is helpful to ya :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-02-21, 00:06:33
Reply #2

diffuus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply,

But it would take me a week going through all those assets and change these settings one by one.
A lot of these assets are commercial models with Corona materials, and they work fine when I open them individually.
I think the problem must be some 3dsMax setting that's wrong when starting from a clean sheet.

2018-02-21, 15:31:21
Reply #3

diffuus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My problem is solved.

This is what i did wrong testing 3dsMax 2018 and being fairly new to Corona:

My file location paths not yet being set up properly in 2018, i made a folder and copied some assets including the textures in that folder.
I started a new 3dsMax session and merged an asset. I you would render now, it is normal that 3dsMax will not find the textures.
To find the textures in 3dsMax (without Corona) it is enough to just save the file in the folder with the assets.
With Corona installed, 3dsMAx will still find the assets (Asset tracking status is "found"), but the Corona renderer (or materials) does not! This results in the normal map error.
Just closing 3dsMax en reopen the file fixes this error.

I am aware that this "error" is mainly due to my weird setup, but I wanted to let you know nevertheless.

PS: Being a Mental Ray user for more than 10 years, i am very pleased with my switch to Corona!