Author Topic: Lightmix >Scene function breaking some instances?  (Read 1647 times)

2018-02-14, 15:24:22

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I have a scene with a bunch of 'sets' of lights. The sets are all instances of one another.
I've been using the lightmix to dial in all the lights but when I go to use the >Scene function, I'm finding one light from each set is being made 'unique'. The operations are visible in the max undo list. The lights are all included in the correct lightselect elements (no loose ones unassigned). It's repeatable for me. If I create a light, instance 10x, create a new light, instance 10x etc etc. Assign each set to a light select. Hit render, adjust colours/intensities, >Scene function and bam there's one from each set (usually) that has become unique.

I also have two questions that are somewhat relevant:
1) Will the lightselect render element clean up faster than beauty pass?
2) Was there ever some sort of automatic setup for the lightmix feature? I seem to remember such a thing but perhaps I'm imagining it. Could be a sweet feature if it doesn't exist, perhaps it can add a lightselect for each set of instanced light...

max 2016 sp4, Corona 1.7 (hotfix 2)

Cheers,
James

2018-02-14, 15:35:52
Reply #1

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
AFAIK, the light instances problem you describe is now solved in the daily builds ... so it will be solved in the upcoming v2.0 :)
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-02-14, 15:40:16
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
- Automatic set up of LightMix, yes been there for a long time :) See attached image

- Will LightSelects clean up faster than Beauty?
Not really. Each LightSelect is just a sub-selection of what is in the Beauty, and so cleans up at the same rate. That said, some lights clean up faster than others, if you have one light that is just direct light shining on a surface, that will clean up super-fast; while a light that is doing a lot of bouncing around in the scene will take longer; and a light that has Directionality enabled will take longer. So, some LightSelects may clean up faster than others - but, the Beauty will always have all of those in it, so will have the same noise from each (ie less noise from the simple light, more noise from the complex light) - so overall, both Beauty and LightSelects clean up at the same rate (but some LightSelects faster than others)

- The >Scene item
I think this has been noted somewhere before, if I can find where I'll link to it :) A known-issue at the moment.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-02-14, 15:59:12
Reply #3

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- Automatic set up of LightMix, yes been there for a long time :) See attached image

- Will LightSelects clean up faster than Beauty?
Not really. Each LightSelect is just a sub-selection of what is in the Beauty, and so cleans up at the same rate. That said, some lights clean up faster than others, if you have one light that is just direct light shining on a surface, that will clean up super-fast; while a light that is doing a lot of bouncing around in the scene will take longer; and a light that has Directionality enabled will take longer. So, some LightSelects may clean up faster than others - but, the Beauty will always have all of those in it, so will have the same noise from each (ie less noise from the simple light, more noise from the complex light) - so overall, both Beauty and LightSelects clean up at the same rate (but some LightSelects faster than others)

- The >Scene item
I think this has been noted somewhere before, if I can find where I'll link to it :) A known-issue at the moment.

AFAIK, the light instances problem you describe is now solved in the daily builds ... so it will be solved in the upcoming v2.0 :)

Awesome. Thanks for the replies Tom and Nicolas!

2018-02-14, 16:08:54
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Aha yes there it was - https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=16521.0

And indeed, fixed in the Daily Build from 2017-12-18
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us