Author Topic: Modern Scandinavian Apartment  (Read 1784 times)

2017-09-07, 09:49:52

Simonlp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Forum!

This is a visualization project I have done for my portfolio and it - in part - secured my apprencticeship in a proffesional setting. I have been working with 3D-visualization for a little over a year.
This project was finished in just under a month.

The scene itself is included with 3 different 'moods' (time of day) and 2 camera angles.

Constructive criticism is very welcome!

artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/simzelp

2017-09-07, 14:22:12
Reply #1

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej Simon,

There is much room for improvement.
First of all I think that you should think more about a composiotion of an image - you can start studying works of architectury photographers and look for some inspiration there. Follow basic rules at first. Maby try 1 point perspective in this interior?
Secondly - "materialism".  Pay close attention to real world materials. In Corona you can achieve really good results when you follow basic PBR rules.
Lighting - the most important thing in rendering! There is something wrong with it, especially in nighttime - I can still see sharp shadows on the floor!
Did you design the interior yourself? The floor looks unfinished, there are no baseboards etc.
There is tree shadow, but no tree outside.
Sofa looks pretty unnatural - you can try using some falloff and bump map on the material.
Walls look strange to me as well, can you show me your material settings?
There are some displacement artifacts on the brick wall.
To achieve more photographic look you can try using LUTs and definiately depth of field (be careful not to overdo DOF!).

Sorry I was harsh on you, but I tried to show you some critical point that can be improved.

2017-09-07, 15:29:12
Reply #2

Simonlp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey 88qba88,

Thank you for the input!

The apartment itself exists in real life and is an attempt to recreate that as realistically as possible, of course with changes to furniture and minor details. So for example the floor material is the same as the walls, because that's how the place was built. Concerning the wall material: I'm overall happy with it but I agree that it could be better and has some surface problems, even though it is intended to be a very rough element in the scene.
The tree outside is actually a model, you just don't see the geometry (only the shadow) because of the camera angle... I thought it added a nice touch of realism.
The Nighttime version: Lighting on the floor was intented to be a hint of moonlight (using corona sun), perhabs i went a bit overboard with it. It should be said that these 'mood' changes are made in post, in Corona LightMix and Photoshop respectively.
I do have some experience with LUT's, however i prefer to control the various sliders myself to get a more precise look.
I was very conflicted on wether or not i should use DOF in this scene. I had a plant in front of the camera for a while, but ended up cutting it for a cleaner look. Agree that it can be overused...

Thanks for the feedback will keep it in mind!