Author Topic: Max's UI laggy while on interactive rendering  (Read 3117 times)

2017-06-06, 18:44:41

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I'm using my new Ryzen based workstation.
I'm noticing that spinners, and other interactive UI things (like selecting the value in a field) are laggy (take a second or two to respond) when interactive rendering is working. It makes sense obviously, but it wasn't this noticeable on my other computer.

Is there anything I can do to leave some room for processing UI actions while on IR?
Also, is it possible to make IR respond faster on heavy scenes?

Thanks

2017-06-08, 17:58:38
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
System > System Settings > Interactive Rendering > # of threads override (do not mistake with # of threads above!)
This defines how many threads are used for IR, and how many are left for other operations.
To make UI more responsive, you can try lowering the number of available threads.
To make IR more responsive in heavy scenes you should however allow IR more computing power. :)
Or one other idea for heavy scenes is enabling the "Force Path Tracing" option in Performance tab - this will cut render times down by the UHD cache calculation time.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-06-08, 18:26:14
Reply #2

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
also try to change - of threads override to -2, by default it set to -1, and if you using with Hyper-threading or similar CPU it will use half of 1 core and maybe laggy

2017-06-09, 18:12:18
Reply #3

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you. Much better with -2.

2017-07-12, 21:06:31
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thought leaving threads to -2 worked but it didn't.

This is a Ryzen workstation. Could that have to do with the slow responsiveness? I feel it's slower than with my previous workstation.

Is there anything in the BIOS that I could change that may be affecting the IR performance?
How about with the Nvidia settings? Shouldn't the UI interaction be taken care of by the GPU?

Thanks!

2017-07-13, 16:46:10
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There is a lot of things that could affect this, and the worst thing is that often users who reported this report that it "fixed by itself" the next day. First of all I would make sure to have all Windows and 3ds Max updates installed.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-13, 19:03:43
Reply #6

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I did try a lot of things. I think it's getting better. I think...
Windows and Max are both up to date.

For others to know:
What I did was disable cool-n-quiet on the bios to keep the clock speed constant.
I also moved the mouse wireless connector from one USB to another. I think the wifi antennas (the mobo comes with it) were affecting the performance of the mouse itself, which can be confused with the performance of the computer. I'm pretty sure.
I also turned off the overclocking on the video card. Maybe if I use less power overall it's better.

I'll keep you posted. If you have other ideas, please feel free to add to the list.