Author Topic: Corona in VFX / Experiences and conclusions  (Read 25382 times)

2017-03-10, 10:25:23
Reply #15

tomasd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just curious, where were you working when you did these? just surprised and assumed the VFX houses that worked on those films where using maya and other renderers. i know star trek had some  max/vray but the others i didn't know.

Generally that would be true. But these are backgrounds/matte paintings. And those guys are generally allows to do whatever they need to get the background out. Paint it, render it in whatever, Photoshop and Nuke it until you get thumbs up. It is quite often one-man-job as most things cannot be reused (the mountain backdrop can't be in that many shots.. the monkey would) so there is much more flexibility in their tool of choice.

2017-03-10, 12:28:41
Reply #16

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OP, some crazy good work! Glad to see Corona being used on big films.

On another note, can someone explain to me like I'm 5 what Open VDB is?
Vray who?

2017-03-10, 14:11:17
Reply #17

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
Expected results from Corona Renderer Lovely conceptuals.
Imagination is more important than knowlege

2017-03-10, 15:10:46
Reply #18

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
On another note, can someone explain to me like I'm 5 what Open VDB is?
VDB is how we store Volumetric Data - as Blocks "Voxels"
VDB describes a grid in 3D, how big it is, how high the resolution (number of block in that size) is and how the voxels change over time.

OpenVDB is a standard, which is free and has no licence cost, which provides a clever way to store and manipulate the data.
Simulation programs use openVDB to create, manipulate and store the Volumetric simulation and renderers implement the openVDB library, so the data is read and input into the rendering environment.

Most of the industry uses openVDB for volumetrics, which is why there is such a fuss about it. If you implement openVDB, you automatically support most volumetric simulation plugins and programs.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2017-03-10, 15:57:12
Reply #19

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VDB is how we store Volumetric Data - as Blocks "Voxels"
VDB describes a grid in 3D, how big it is, how high the resolution (number of block in that size) is and how the voxels change over time.

OpenVDB is a standard, which is free and has no licence cost, which provides a clever way to store and manipulate the data.
Simulation programs use openVDB to create, manipulate and store the Volumetric simulation and renderers implement the openVDB library, so the data is read and input into the rendering environment.

Most of the industry uses openVDB for volumetrics, which is why there is such a fuss about it. If you implement openVDB, you automatically support most volumetric simulation plugins and programs.

Oh right, sweet. Makes sense!
Vray who?

2017-03-10, 17:40:17
Reply #20

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
the VDB reading is actually not the problem, the problem is that somebody needs to actually render the data. Which can get really tricky
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-03-10, 21:46:01
Reply #21

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Ondra for the reflOcl :)
But i must confess i was so cheap i got my 1.5 licence minus the extra 1 year daily build acess :( .

VDB i guess will only make sense until the Volume shaders side gets fully developed. makes sense. Good to know you guys are aware of the need of those standards.

What about EXR 2.0. What would make it complicated to implement from the programing point of view?. i would imagine the data is there and you just need to add this output.. or is it more involved than that?

The more i have to work with Arnold the more convinced i am that you guys are doing the right thing with Corona in the sense of keeping things lean and getting rid of some cg legacy stuff. and integration to Max is flawless not to mention speed. But still there are really good things about Arnold worth looking at ( from a Vfx integration point of view ) like their diagnostics options, some utility shaders and so on.

i wont start listing features here. will take that to another thread :0 .

CompanionCube:
Tomas answered pretty well. but maybe is not so much like whatever tool we need to get the job done but rougly yes and not always, actually less and less these days, the shot is a simple background :p. There are still technical and political implications. Every case is diferent. And we still have to cover every angle as much as possible to avoid a conflict with other tools, processes.

In the one show we used Corona the most we were lucky that we were pretty much abandoned to our own devices as the prod support was focused mostly on huge character work and other fully CG ( pipeline cg )sequences.

In other cases the full might of an in house pipeline doesn't get the job done just because the more people you put into a task eventually makes the problem worst and those pipelines are designed for a huge subdivision of work. And in some cases there is a transition going on from one technology to another and the task can be so simple but somehow falls trough the cracks and you can't get it done with what used to work.

Still..it was always a thin rope to walk trought!.

2017-03-12, 11:36:13
Reply #22

orenvfx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some questing please

i see all the awesome landscape and its fantastic

maybe you can talk little about the correct workflow and what we see here

i want to know in case of huge landscape... did you import the tree and rescale them so they small then real world scale?
i guess is not  good to work on island with full real world scale... so did you need to scale down all for the shot?

second.. we see in the end of the frames some hand painted elements... so its not all 3d? can we get some info about this?

thanks!

2017-03-13, 05:01:39
Reply #23

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
i want to know in case of huge landscape... did you import the tree and rescale them so they small then real world scale?
i guess is not  good to work on island with full real world scale... so did you need to scale down all for the shot?
long time ago I heard that downscaling is a trick to make the scene not too heavy when dealing with super big scene. but I found that downscaling everything would gives a headache on resetting too many overscaled parameters like absorbtion, light, volumetric and etc. so imho, about downscaling trick... I don't think so... but who knows. let chilombiano share his opinions

2017-03-13, 07:38:19
Reply #24

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
Sure.

The scale thing. the absolute scale of a place ..yeahh, it kind of have to be respected but for big landscapes the farther sections can generally get cheated.  There is a degree of flexibility depending on how the camera moves, type of shot or they way is gonna put together ( fully rendered, camera projections, etc ). A lock off cam shot is more forgiving as the end result might just be a projection on a big sphere. In the image i posted of the lake the situation was a bit diferent, it was a simple lock off cam with a 2d push it ( a POV shot ) but the show was Stereo.
And in Stereo scale is a bigger issue altough still forgiving at far far elements so lets say just for saying probably the first 40 km or so are correct and pass that its a bit more of a cheat. Now, as matter of annecdote that particular landscape had very especific topography and i actually had to use terrain elevation data as a starting point. someone higher up arbitrarily picked a piece of the real world and made it our middle earth ! :).

I do remember having some issues with big "real scale" scenes on the software once or twice. I think vray gave me once some sort of error in Maya. i don't think the scenes get heavier at all but i might be wrong. precision seems to go a bit nuts and a bit querky with the clipping planes but that's it.

But there is also relative scale ( that one be barely respect :p ). I could have a tree asset that measures 10mt high and scatter it into a field but maybe it looks like crap in the far distance. then i would just up its scale or whatever makes it look good. i guess we all cheat like that, right?. As far as the final image looks good!.

The paint question. Yes, there is a lot of paint work, in all of them, sometimes just some details here and there and sometimes there is nothing left of any cg elements. In the one area you point out there was a foreground line of moving trees. most likely i had alpha holes from my base renders and quickly filled them with the brush just in case or for presentation. You can see some of the other examples having huge holes which are generally covered by the plate anyways. There is a balance there of how much you can spend building up a 3d scene and where can you take a shortcut. If you are interested i'll be happy to answer about the many sub-processes and gags we do. just let me know.

2017-03-13, 10:47:03
Reply #25

orenvfx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
chilombiano!

you are great!

thanks for all the good answers!

i have so many questions about the big screen field but i guess i will do it slow step by step  :)

2017-03-16, 17:05:26
Reply #26

Shawn Astrom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Big vote for Open VDB here! This in my opinion would complete Corona! Dispersion as well would be rad ;)

Keep it up guys, Corona still is my fav!

- Shawn

2017-04-15, 22:17:29
Reply #27

chilombiano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some new VFX work done using Corona:

The Osiris Child: Science Fiction Volume One Official Trailer #1

These are some of the ones i did ( snapshots from the trailer ). Will try to post the high res renders when the movie is out.

2017-04-17, 16:00:51
Reply #28

tiagobrazil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • TBrazil

2017-04-17, 16:21:58
Reply #29

orenvfx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wowwww

these are 3d renders that painted over them more details in post?

for camera projection?