Author Topic: Layer management for 3dsMax, any alternatives ?  (Read 14001 times)

2018-06-17, 07:31:07
Reply #15

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Should get the SiNi guys onto it...?

2018-09-10, 13:25:18
Reply #16

mmar

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

maybe someone can help me, i am coming from Max14 and now using Max16
If i select in Max 14 an Object in the Scene and then a Layer i can click the "+" and it is assigned to the layer
If i select in Max 16 an Object in the Scene and then a Layer, the Object gets deselected... Why?

thx :)

2018-09-10, 14:09:32
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Instead of selecting layer, just click on its icon (it will turns blue, indicating that it is active now) and then click + icon - your selection will move to the active layer. It may look confusing and cumbersome at first, but once you get used to it, you may start to like it more than pre-2015 behaviour.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-09-10, 14:13:00
Reply #18

mmar

• Users
    • View Profile
Instead of selecting layer, just click on its icon (it will turns blue, indicating that it is active now) and then click + icon - your selection will move to the active layer. It may look confusing and cumbersome at first, but once you get used to it, you may start to like it more than pre-2015 behaviour.

THX a lot !!!!!!

2018-09-11, 17:10:32
Reply #19

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Since 3dsMax 2017, not many artists complain about the Layer Explorer anymore at work.
Any specific problem?

The layer explorer doesn't dock properly or remain in the same position the next time you open MAX, very annoying. Plus the way it displays objects is different from before and is more difficult to use (IMO). I hate it.

2018-09-12, 17:55:51
Reply #20

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So far I think Outliner is the best. Someone (spacefrog version) constantly fixed it so it works in all versions of max. Not sure about 2018 and 2019, hope it works there too.
Doesn't take up more ui space than it should, you can make it very small and keep it permanently open, you can customize the colors of the interface, and buttons... and the drag and drop to move objects in layers and sub-layers works as one expects it should work. You can also customize the drag and left click or right click and so on...