Author Topic: Minor issue with photometric lights  (Read 1997 times)

2020-08-04, 10:52:23

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,
I always have a problem with standard photometric spotlights in my corona scenes; I use them when I need narrow beam light angles because with Corona lights I would introduce too much noise if I increase the directionality too much.
I setup photometric lights using Corona shadows and I activate Corona area shadows.
The problem is that, whenever I make a copy of a photometric light, the new light has the area shadows deactivated. By now I know the problem and remember to check them but sometimes I miss one, with the result of some ugly hard shadows in my final renders...
Does anybody have the same problem? (I use Max2019 or 2020 and Corona 5)
Also, maybe someone can advice me on how I could make narrow beam lights using Corona lights instead of standard lights?
Thanks for any help/info!
Best,

Patrick

2020-08-04, 16:31:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I do not see any reason why some properties would change when copying objects. We will definitely look into it.

As an alternative to the 3ds Max Photometric lights, you can try with:
- Corona lights with high directionality (it should already work faster with less noise in V5 thanks to the adaptive light solver - make sure you have it enabled in the Performance tab)
- Corona lights with IES enabled (you can even create an IES yourself - see: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=11630.0 )
- Standard 3ds Max Spotlight
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-05, 15:36:24
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you please provide some very simple reproduction steps for this? I tried it like this, but there is no issue:

1. Create Photometric > Target Light (also tried with Standard > Target Spot)
2. Enable Shadows On checkbox, change type to CoronaShadows
3. Select the light object (tried the object itself or both light+target)
4. Hold shift and move the selection, select Copy
5. Check the object's options

The On checkbox always remains selected and the shadow type is always CoronaShadows.

Nevermind, reproduced. :)

(Internal ID=545390689)
« Last Edit: 2020-08-05, 15:49:17 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-31, 09:45:16
Reply #3

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Maru,
I'm glad you could reproduce the issue... I went on holiday and forgot to check the forum for answers to my post!! Sorry... and thank you for your advices!!

2020-09-07, 13:34:02
Reply #4

patrick.testa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Maru,
I tried using IES with Corona lights as you advised and I like the result very much!
I just found out another little bug doing it: when I have several Corona lights with a IES file loaded and I decide to "make unique" a single one of them, it loses the connection with the IES file becoming a normal Corona light and I have to reload it manually...